Re: [dansguardian] Max Number of Processes

  • Scott Mayo
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 27 8:54 AM
      On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Philip Pearce <e2bntech@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > maxchildren just sets the upper limit of the number of child filter
      > processes dg will attempt to spawn.
      >
      > If the OS limit is lower than maxchildren, this will not stop dg starting,
      > but when dg tries to spawn over the OS limit it will will fail. Since it
      > failed with minchildren=240 this would indicate that your OS limit is
      > around 250 (or less). To see how many processes dg is actually using do a
      > 'ps -ef|grep dans|wc -l' or something similar.

      I did that this morning and it was using 347 at one time. That was the
      largest number that I saw. Everything was still working then and still is
      so I assume I can bump it on up if I need to? Until I get some sort of
      error?

      Thanks.

      --
      Scott

    • Philip Pearce
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30 2:12 AM
        >> If the OS limit is lower than maxchildren, this will not stop dg starting,
        >> but when dg tries to spawn over the OS limit it will will fail. Since it
        >> failed with minchildren=240 this would indicate that your OS limit is
        >> around 250 (or less). To see how many processes dg is actually using do a
        >> 'ps -ef|grep dans|wc -l' or something similar.
        >>

        >I did that this morning and it was using 347 at one time. That was the
        >largest number that I saw. Everything was still working then and still is
        >so I assume I can bump it on up if I need to? Until I get some sort of
        >error?

        Yes, you can increase it - If you are getting 347 then it's likely that your OS limit is 1024 - But keep an eye on memory usage as performance will sharply degrade if the systems starts to swap.

        Regards
        Philip

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2012
          On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Philip Pearce <e2bntech@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > >> If the OS limit is lower than maxchildren, this will not stop dg
          > starting,
          > >> but when dg tries to spawn over the OS limit it will will fail. Since
          > it
          > >> failed with minchildren=240 this would indicate that your OS limit is
          > >> around 250 (or less). To see how many processes dg is actually using do
          > >> 'ps -ef|grep dans|wc -l' or something similar.
          > >>

          > >I did that this morning and it was using 347 at one time. That was the
          > >largest number that I saw. Everything was still working then and still is
          > >so I assume I can bump it on up if I need to? Until I get some sort of
          > >error?
          >
          > Yes, you can increase it - If you are getting 347 then it's likely that
          > your OS limit is 1024 - But keep an eye on memory usage as performance will
          > sharply degrade if the systems starts to swap.

          Thanks for the info. I have been watching TOP off and on. Looks like my
          CPU usage is somewhere around 1-5% on average and jumps up to 8-12 once in
          a bit. Memory usage is around 950,000k out of 2,065,084k on average, so it
          is not having to use any Swap yet.

          Those numbers came when it was using 250-301 processes.

          --
          Scott