Re: [dansguardian] Max Processes

  • Freddie Cash
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26 8:33 AM
      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo@...> wrote:

      > **
      > Okay, I check my maximum number of dansguardian process i.e. "ps aux |
      >
      > grep | dansguardian | wc" and I see more processes than I have

      A simpler command: pgrep -lf dansguardian | wc -l

      > computers sometimes. How is that possible? I know I have asked this
      > before, but do multiple browsers open on the same machine each count
      > as a process? Do multiple tabs count as separate processes? Thanks.

      Web browsers will open multiple connections per page, in order to download
      HTML, CSS, images, ads, etc in parallel. The default for most browser is 8
      connections per page. Thus, you could see up to (num PCs * num pages
      opened simultaneously * 8) dansguardian processes.

      --
      Freddie Cash
      fjwcash@...

    • Scott Mayo
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26 8:58 AM
        On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        >
        > > Okay, I check my maximum number of dansguardian process i.e. "ps aux |
        > >
        > > grep | dansguardian | wc" and I see more processes than I have
        > >

        > A simpler command: pgrep -lf dansguardian | wc -l
        >

        > > computers sometimes. How is that possible? I know I have asked this
        > > before, but do multiple browsers open on the same machine each count
        > > as a process? Do multiple tabs count as separate processes? Thanks.
        > >

        > Web browsers will open multiple connections per page, in order to download
        > HTML, CSS, images, ads, etc in parallel. The default for most browser is 8
        > connections per page. Thus, you could see up to (num PCs * num pages
        > opened simultaneously * 8) dansguardian processes.

        Wow! That is the thing then. I need to get this re-installed so I can set
        my maxchildren to more than 250. I think I recall seeing that I can add
        something in while installing to let me set it up a great deal more.

        Thanks.

        --
        Scott

      • Scott Mayo
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26 11:51 AM
          On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Scott Mayo <scotgmayo@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          >
          > > Okay, I check my maximum number of dansguardian process i.e. "ps aux |
          > >
          > > grep | dansguardian | wc" and I see more processes than I have
          > >

          > A simpler command: pgrep -lf dansguardian | wc -l
          >

          > > computers sometimes. How is that possible? I know I have asked this
          > > before, but do multiple browsers open on the same machine each count
          > > as a process? Do multiple tabs count as separate processes? Thanks.
          > >

          > Web browsers will open multiple connections per page, in order to download
          > HTML, CSS, images, ads, etc in parallel. The default for most browser is 8
          > connections per page. Thus, you could see up to (num PCs * num pages
          > opened simultaneously * 8) dansguardian processes.

          I know this is not a DG question, but I have a question about your answer.
          Theoretically I could have 8 computers that have 4 tabs open that could
          possibly eat up all my connections? (8 computers * 4 tabs * 8 connections
          per tab)

          If I have 4 tabs open and just sitting there, they will only take the
          multiple connections up while the page is loading correct? Once they are
          loaded completely then the connections would be released in DG until the
          page was refreshed or something?

          --
          Scott

        • sichent
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26 1:24 PM
            On 4/26/2012 8:51 PM, Scott Mayo wrote:
            > I know this is not a DG question, but I have a question about your answer.
            > Theoretically I could have 8 computers that have 4 tabs open that could
            > possibly eat up all my connections? (8 computers * 4 tabs * 8 connections
            > per tab)
            >
            > If I have 4 tabs open and just sitting there, they will only take the
            > multiple connections up while the page is loading correct? Once they are
            > loaded completely then the connections would be released in DG until the
            > page was refreshed or something?

            This totally depends on how DG works with the connections. As long as
            connection is instructed to be open by browser or remote server is must
            be kept open by DG. The problem you seem to be having is not the
            *number* of connections but the fact that each connection requires a
            separate DG instance to be running although they all might be
            theoretically processed by only one instance... e.g. Squid has only 1
            process and easily handles thousands of connections on modern server
            hardware.

            best regards
            sich