Deleted sequence from THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

  • cntonfilm
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2003
      Hello !

      Years ago I've read or heard somewhere that originally there was
      another dream sequence in THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY in which
      Danny was a resistance fighter for the IRA in Dublin. I do not know
      if this was just an unused part in the original script or actually
      filmed and later deleted from the final picture. I just know that it
      was dropped or cut on purpose to avoid any offense of British
      audiences. I've always tried to get further information but never
      found any more hints about what's really all about this sequence.
      Does anybody know more or where I might get further information ?

      Thanks for all your kind help !

      Best, Christoph
    • Leonard Marry
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2003
        There seemed to be a lot of that going around w/his
        films, Christoph.
        I have a promo photo that I believe I uploaded here to
        promote "Knock on Wood" The photo is Danny, stand over
        a large stone, and sniffing a cooked chicken leg w/a
        somewhat pecular look (that only he could do!) on his
        face! Printed right on the photo, it states: Danny
        Kaye, from "Knock On Wood"
        Needless to say, nothing resembling that ever appeared
        in that film either.
        Since most of us just weren't around for the big "Box
        Office Bonanzas," there's probably no way we'll ever
        know, unless someone releases films with cut footage
        (which now seems to be the DVD craze!
        Other interesting thing is "Inspector General." When I
        first picked up my copy, there was no frolic w/the
        maid in the kitchen, where he sings "Happy Times." I
        finally found a copy 2nd hand that had it.
        As most of his films in the later years became TV
        broadcasts, there a good chance a lot was cut out to
        fill a 2 hour slot, which also included commercials.
        All we can do I guess is wait & see!

        --- cntonfilm <gorvin@...> wrote: > Hello !

        > Years ago I've read or heard somewhere that
        > originally there was
        > another dream sequence in THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER
        > MITTY in which
        > Danny was a resistance fighter for the IRA in
        > Dublin. I do not know
        > if this was just an unused part in the original
        > script or actually
        > filmed and later deleted from the final picture. I
        > just know that it
        > was dropped or cut on purpose to avoid any offense
        > of British
        > audiences. I've always tried to get further
        > information but never
        > found any more hints about what's really all about
        > this sequence.
        > Does anybody know more or where I might get further
        > information ?
        >
        > Thanks for all your kind help !
        >
        > Best, Christoph

      • Kimber The Great Davis
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2003
          Just wanted to add a side note: In several movies, even today, special segments are filmed just for promotional sake only. ie to be used only as special previews before movies or promos on tv. This was especially true and more often done in the 40's and fifties. Check out some of the previews of Danny's movies, especially the Sam Goldwyn ones. You will see a bunch of scenes that never made it into the actual movie. Having said that the Library of Congress may be able to help. Good Luck!

          Kimber T Great