Facebook & Participants Growing

  • Nicole S
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2009
      Happy Holidays!

      As I sit here, snowed in, I figured I'd give you all some updates.

      First off, thank you for supporting my little (and growing) project. That is SO cool!

      Facebook: The DMC (Dancer Musician Compendium) is up to 65 members! WHOO HOO!

      Yahoo Group: Incase you haven't noticed, or checked recently, this yahoo group has 52 members - also quite impressive!

      To date I have received:

      13 musicians
      17 dancers

      I'm hoping for 50 - 100 for the opening, so keep telling your friends and I'll keep pestering - er - telling mine. This ought to be good!

      More participants are coming in daily so a giant round of applause for all of you who have supported this since the beginning!

      Lady Jane
    • Eleanor K Cass
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2009
        If one is just a beginner in both music and dancing (and probably fated to stay that way, talent-wise ) do you still want the info?

        I'd love to get a local group started doing music and dance in Northeastern CT and connect with others further away online.

        Myfanwy

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2009
          Hi Myfanwy,

          I know you're a member of our Yahoo group already, but we'd love to have you join us at our practices. Do you know Robert of Glasgow? He's in northeastern CT too, and he's a regular at our practices. Maybe you could carpool.

          If you do start practicing up your way, please post it to Stonebridge Gambol. I would love more opportunities to dance on a regular basis.

          Thanks,
          Maurin

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2009

            Why don't you try your local narcissist guild?

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
              I'm really sorry.  I didn't mean to offend.  Forget I said anything.

              Myfanwy

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                Wow. I hope that was accidentally insulting, and not intentionally rude. The music & dance community remains a small subset of the SCA, small enough that we should be open and supportive to all participants, no matter their actual or perceived skill level, and accept humility at face value.

                > Why don't you try your local narcissist guild?

              • David Barnes
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                  Don't listen. I don't understand the need for such rudeness. I meant what I said in my message to you: please join us, if you can, at our Sunday practices, and if you do start to have practices in your area please post the information to Stonebridge Gambol because we would be happy to support you.

                  Personally I am glad to see people taking an interest in music and dance in the SCA, especially in our area where we have so few practices. Don't let one cranky person dissuade you from making the effort.

                  —Maurin Lessault

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                    Thank you.  That's very kind of you!!!!

                    Why don't I contact you off list to talk about this?

                    Again, thanks,

                    Myfanwy

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                      Really don't want to make a big deal of this, but, thanks, it was good to hear that.

                      Myfanwy

                      Wow. I hope that was accidentally insulting, and not intentionally rude. The music & dance community remains a small subset of the SCA, small enough that we should be open and supportive to all participants, no matter their actual or perceived skill level, and accept humility at face value.

                      > Why don't you try your local narcissist guild?

                    • Niki
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 21, 2009
                        Myfanwy

                        Yes - please include your information.  You can fill out one of each form.  I want dancers and musicians of all skill levels.

                        :)

                        Maurin, thanks for telling about your dance practice.  Myfanwy, I know for a fact that those at Maurin's practice is full of wonderful people, and that Maurin is a spectacular dance master.  You'll have a lot of fun there.

                        Jane

                        ** Spruce up your resume to land the job you want. Need help finding that job? I can help with both: http://www.liveperson.com/future-specialist

                      • Shirley Blaylock
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 22, 2009

                          OK.  There is no way to determine a person's talent when they are beginners. It takes some people a while to get out of their head and settle into their pelvis. People who aren't destined to dance leave on their own, usually within the first year. After that - well, not everyone is a belly dance super star , but most people willing to invest the time can develop enough talent to make a show enjoyable to watch. I hate to see someone's dream discouraged before they even try.