Welcome!

  • janeeve2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
      Good Day!

      I'm so happy that people are already interested in this project!

      Could everyone who has signed up within that last few days, please just put a few words about themselves on here?

      I'll start:

      My name is Lady Jane of Milford,OM, mka: Nicole Salomone. I am a dancer/musician/fencer within the SCA. I have been playing in the SCA for 13 years and have become more and more active as I have moved on.

      Currently, I am the dance mistress of Fred (the local name for the Canton which resides within the Barony of Bhakail), located just south of Philadelphia. I also assist with teaching, as asked in other groups, and teach wherever there is room, including Pennsic and KWDS.

      My favorite colors are purple and green and I love hedgehogs. :)

      Please feel free to send word about this project to any other eastern dancers/musicians that you know about.

      Also, I have forms in the files section so that you can become part of the Dancer/Fencer Compendium. Please feel free to fill them out and send them to me. My email address is: janeeve2001(at) yahoo.com

      Have a great day!

      Lady Jane Milford
      Order of the Maunche
      Current Bhakail A&S Champion
      Member of the Terpsichore
      Member of the Guilded Pearl
      Recipient of the Sable Compass
      Recepient of the Sable Gauntlet
      Provost of LoRA
      Seamstress to the Crown (Ice & Isabella's first reign)
      Dance Mistress of 'Fred'
    • David Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2009
        My Name is Lord Maurin Lessault or, mundanely, David Barnes. I first joined the SCA back in 1989 when I was a student at UC Irvine. During that time I was an original member, and eventually seneschal, of the College of Fenwood Knoll in the Barony of Gyldenholt (Orange County, CA) in the Kingdom of Caid. In addition to brewing and fighting, I organized a weekly dance practice and taught dance on Tuesday nights for about 2 years. After graduation I slowly fell out of participation in the SCA.

        In 2008 I met Mistress Asenath Chamberly of Morrismount OP at a mundane English Country dance where she invited me to the Black Rose Ball. Shortly thereafter I helped found Stonebridge Gambol with my friend Lady Efa verch Cynan. At the 2009 Black Rose Ball I became a protégé of Mistress Asenath.

        Stonebridge Gambol is a group consisting of dancers from the baronies of Smoking Rocks (South East Massachusetts) and the Bridge (Rhode Island). I have been teaching at our Sunday practices for the past 18 months. If you are in our area, please join us at practice. We get together most Sundays from 4–6 at Goff Hall in Rehoboth, MA (123 Bay State Road). (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StonebridgeGambol/)

        In addition to our weekly practices, I have taught dance at Novice Schola and Pennsic. I have also called dances in non-SCA settings, both at the monthly Jammers' Potluck and Dance and at the South Kingstown English Country Dance.

        In addition to dancing, I am interested in 14th century history and clothing. My persona is a 14th century Frenchman from the town Chauvigny in the Poitou/Charentes region of France.

      • capricia_16
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2009
          --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@...> wrote:

          > Good Day!
          >
          > I'm so happy that people are already interested in this project!
          >
          > Could everyone who has signed up within that last few days, please just put a few words about themselves on here?

          I am Lady Melissent d'Aulnay the Capricious, although everyone knows me as Capricia. Although I have been dancing in the SCA since 1996 and used to teach several groups, I currently have only been attending large InterKingdom events such as Pennsic, KWDS, and Crystal Ball. I do hope to restart a dance group in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My home group is officially the Canton of Glaslyn in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, but I pretty much quit playing when I started grad. school and haven't restarted. I am definitely ready to reconnect and start dancing on a serious basis again.
          Mundanely, I am Michelle Henry, elementary school librarian extraordinaire. I love to travel, read, play games, watch movies, play DDR, chat on Facebook, volunteer at my church,and really enjoy doing mission trips. My most current trip was to teach English in Russia this summer, which I thoroughly enjoyed as I also like linguistics.
        • halima_al_rakkasa
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
            --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@...> wrote:

            > Good Day!
            >
            > I'm so happy that people are already interested in this project!
            >
            > Could everyone who has signed up within that last few days, please just put a few words about themselves on here?

            My name is Halima al-Rakkasa, also called Sayyida Halima. I live in the Shire of Cragmere, Principality of Tir Righ, Kingdom of An Tir (BC, Canada).

            My first "formal" dancing began with Middle Eastern dance in 1977. In 1995, I was introduced to the SCA by being drawn in to the dancing. I taught my first SCA ("Ithra") class the next year and began learning ECD, too.

            My learning, teaching, and just -doing- of dancing happens whenever and wherever possible. I teach bellydance weekly in our community (non-SCA), and have done so in the same location since 1993. My favourite class to teach in the SCA is "Basic Dance", as it's a limited survey of European dance, from chain dances to set dances of 1651. My current (on-going) research is on the historic forms of Middle Eastern dance, and on the earlier forms of group social dance in Europe. In my ample spare time. (SCA: textile crafts from spinning to weaving, and book arts. Non-SCA: gardening, Argentine tango, contra dance, West Coast swing, website design and maintenance. "Spare time", my Aunt Fanny's leftmost toenail!)

            yours in dance,
            Halima

            http://www.island.net/~doerksen
            http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?title=Halima_al-Rakkasa
          • Stuart Herring
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2009
              --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@ ...> wrote:

              > Good Day!
              > I'm so happy that people are already interested in this project!
              > Could everyone who has signed up within that last few days, please just put a few words about themselves on here? <

              Greetings one and all!

              I am Phillip Stuart of Silverhill, a resident of the Barony of Iron Mountain in Meridies.
              I am a long-time member (since A.S. XII) with a moderate interest in dance and a greater interest in music, both vocal and instrumental.  Mundanely I participate in a church choir, and in both worlds I play recorder and compose the occasional small musical piece.  (My preferred era/style is Renaissance, sort-of English.  I *really* need to get more research, as well as just plain practicing, done!)

              Mundane duties restrict my attendance at events, alas, but I attend when I can and hope to increase it notably in the near--to-moderate future.

              Yours,
              For the Arts,
              Ld. Phillip
            • Andrea Learmonth
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2009
                Hello,

                I am Lady Lynnette La Petite and I live in Ealdormere.  I joined the SCA about 6 years ago when I met Darius and began dancing then (I can't imagin why).  I am also a musician in and out of the SCA and enjoy jaming with other musicians and playing for the dancers especially when my feet start hurting or ragweed is keeping my down.  I also like painting, costuming and pretty much any arts and crafty stuff and am a pack rat of all things shiny and/or thread-like.

                Archery is also quite fun and I would like to get my own bow and arrows and get more into that at some future date.

                Lynnette

                On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Stuart Herring <ps_silverhill@...> wrote:

                --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@ ...> wrote:

                > Good Day!
                > I'm so happy that people are already interested in this project!
                > Could everyone who has signed up within that last few days, please just put a few words about themselves on here? <

                .

              • jonete_malisoun
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 2009
                  Greetings,

                  I am Lady Jonete Malisoun. I live in Atenveldt, in the many-barony area that is central Arizona. I am the music coordinator and one of the dance coordinators for the balls at Estrella War.

                  I started in the SCA in 1995 and soon became involved in music and dance. I lead music practices for a local performance group and dance band, and I teach dance periodically. In the last year we've been trying to revitalize dance practices that had fallen off, and create more opportunities for our often far-flung musicians to practice dance music for Estrella. I teach rather basic dances, some bransles, almains, English Country, and a few Italians. I play mostly modern string instruments but I'm trying to collect more period-style instruments.

                  Occasionally I sew, do a little calligraphy, and write some poetry.