The Beginning

  • janeeve2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2009
      My name is Lady Jane Milford, OM, and I am in the process of creating the Dancer and Musician Compendium. .

      I have obtained permission to start this project in the East Kingdom, and am currently awaiting permissions to open it up to other Kingdoms. In the meantime, I would like to start collecting Eastern information.

      Listings in the Compedium are open to any and all who dance or play music for the SCA. All styles and skill levels are welcome for inclusion. This means, you do not have to be a teacher or well known to be included. Therefore, I would be most appreciative if you would forward this to other Eastern Dancers and Musicians that you know, so that they may be included. Once, I have permission to include information from other Kingdoms, you will be permitted to send the forms to other Dancers/Musicians you may know as well.

      I have posted two forms of requested information. All of you are being asked to complete the form(s) which relate to your activities within the SCA. If you both dance and play music, feel free to fill out both. If there are any questions that you do not have an answer to, just leave it blank.

      Yours in Service,

      Lady Jane Milford, OM
      A&S Champion of Bhakail
      Provost of LoRA
      Recipient of the Terpsicore
      Recipient of the Sable Compass
      Recipeient of the Ssble Gauntlet
    • Jehan Lutenier
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2009
        I am Iohann se pipere, who began attending events late in 1996 and who has been a member of the Society since August of 1998. I reside in Meridies, am the Deputy Minister for Wandering Minstrels of that kingdom's Minstrel's Guild, and a journeyman in Saltare, the Kingdom's dance guild. I play the lute, the violone, and the pipe & tabor.

        Hlaford (Lord) Iohann se pipere (AoA,CMC, Glaedenfeld Grace)
        Sable, a gyron argent
        Ars Longa Vita Brevis (art endures, life ends)

        CMC - Order of the Meridian Cross, the kingdom's initial a & s award
        Glaedenfeld Grace - an award of the Shire of Glaedenfeld

        --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@...> wrote:

        > My name is Lady Jane Milford, OM, and I am in the process of creating the Dancer and Musician Compendium.
        >
        > Yours in Service,
        >
        > Lady Jane Milford, OM
        > A&S Champion of Bhakail
        > Provost of LoRA
        > Recipient of the Terpsicore
        > Recipient of the Sable Compass
        > Recipeient of the Ssble Gauntlet
      • alta_gioiosa
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2009
          So, what exactly is this Compendium going to be? A print book to buy? A website directory that can be searched? A Yahoo Group database attached to this group? Who will be able to see it and how? How do we update our information when needed? Why do we need Kingdom permission to volunteer our information?

          Thanks for the info,
          Teleri

          --- In dancer-musiciancompendium@yahoogroups.com, "janeeve2001" <Janeeve2001@...> wrote:

          > My name is Lady Jane Milford, OM, and I am in the process of creating the Dancer and Musician Compendium. .
          >
          > I have obtained permission to start this project in the East Kingdom, and am currently awaiting permissions to open it up to other Kingdoms. In the meantime, I would like to start collecting Eastern information.
          >
          > Listings in the Compedium are open to any and all who dance or play music for the SCA. All styles and skill levels are welcome for inclusion. This means, you do not have to be a teacher or well known to be included. Therefore, I would be most appreciative if you would forward this to other Eastern Dancers and Musicians that you know, so that they may be included. Once, I have permission to include information from other Kingdoms, you will be permitted to send the forms to other Dancers/Musicians you may know as well.
          >
          > I have posted two forms of requested information. All of you are being asked to complete the form(s) which relate to your activities within the SCA. If you both dance and play music, feel free to fill out both. If there are any questions that you do not have an answer to, just leave it blank.
          >
          > Yours in Service,
          >
          > Lady Jane Milford, OM
          > A&S Champion of Bhakail
          > Provost of LoRA
          > Recipient of the Terpsicore
          > Recipient of the Sable Compass
          > Recipeient of the Ssble Gauntlet

        • Nicole S
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
            The Compendium is going to be an online database (similiar to the EK Rapier Combatant website: http://www.bluetyger.org/rapier)

            It will (hopefully) draw the dance and music communities together by making information gathering (whether that's finding dance/music practices, sheet music variation, dance variations, valid websites,etc) easier within the SCA.

            How it will all be organized is still in the works between myself and the webdesigner. When the website goes live, the link will be posted here, to my website, and on each yahoo group that I've posted the participant request on.

            Because this is an interkingdom and internationl/global project, I wasn't sure what legal implications there might be. I originally wanted to get individual permissions, but after speaking with Patrick (SCA President), and he gave me the go-ahead - I went ahead, and here we are.

            Hope this answers your questions.

            Jane