Giving objects vs money dana

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2005
      Dear Group,

      I just listened to a talk by Thubten Chodron on dana.

      She discussed the practice in her tradition of donating money directly to
      the teacher rather than putting it in a box anonymously. She said that the
      former practice facilitated more personal contact.
      http://www.dharmafriendship.org/index.html?/CD/sample.shtml

      A Theravada teacher said once how uncomfortable she was with that.
      http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/GloriaTaraniyaAmbrosia.html

      There seems to be embarrassment about money dana. Many equate money for
      monks with the ability to buy sensual pleasures. Wherever possible I try to
      give objects instead of money or at least only write a non-negotiable cheque
      to the Buddhist organisation instead of giving cash. Giving objects allows
      me to make choices, according to my values, regarding things, and be
      creative. Those instances of dana give me more satisfaction when I remember
      them.

      What do you think?

      Thanks / Antony.