Re: Siha Sutta (On Generosity)

  • Brian Kelley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Antony, hi group,

      Thank you, Antony, for posting the Siha Sutta. Reflecting on these
      benefits of generosity
      does make one feel good, doesn't it?

      I've been pondering the Siha Sutta alongside the Okkha Sutta, which is
      found at:

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn20-004.html

      [quote]
      Samyutta Nikaya XX.4
      Okkha Sutta
      Serving Dishes
      Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
      For free distribution only.

      Staying at Savatthi. "Monks, if someone were to give a gift of one
      hundred serving dishes
      [of food] in the morning, one hundred at mid-day, and one hundred in
      the evening; and
      another person were to develop a mind of good-will -- even for the time
      it takes to pull
      on a cow's udder -- in the morning, again at mid-day, and again in the
      evening, this [the
      second action] would be more fruitful than that [the first].

      "Thus you should train yourselves: 'Our awareness-release through
      good-will will be
      cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis,
      given a grounding,
      steadied, consolidated, & well-undertaken. That's how you should train
      yourselves."

      [endquote]

      In the Siha Sutta, the Buddha answers General Siha's specific question
      about the benefits
      of generosity. On a separate occasion, in the Okkha Sutta, the Buddha
      exhorts the monks
      to cultivate and develop good-will (metta), as even a few moments of
      metta are said to be more beneficial than large gifts of food.

      I wonder why the Buddha didn't also exhort General Siha to develop
      metta... Is this a case of the Buddha using his ability to discern
      what would be the most beneficial teaching for a particular student? I
      wonder.

      Thanks again for the sutta, Antony. [smile]

      With much metta (and gratitude),
      Brian
    • Antony Woods
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2008
        Anguttara Nikaya 5.34
        Siha Sutta
        To General Siha (On Generosity)
        Translated from the Pali by
        Thanissaro Bhikkhu

        "I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near
        Vesali, in the Great Forest, at the Gabled Pavilion. Then General Siha
        went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat
        to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Is
        it possible, lord, to point out a fruit of generosity visible in the
        here & now?"

        "It is possible, Siha. One who gives, who is a master of giving, is
        dear & charming to people at large. And the fact that who is generous,
        a master of giving, is dear & charming to people at large: this is a
        fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

        "Furthermore, good people, people of integrity, admire one who gives,
        who is a master of giving. And the fact that good people, people of
        integrity, admire one who gives, who is a master of giving: this, too,
        is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

        "Furthermore, the fine reputation of one who gives, who is a master of
        giving, is spread far & wide. And the fact that the fine reputation of
        one who gives, who is a master of giving, is spread far & wide: this,
        too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

        "Furthermore, when one who gives, who is a master of giving,
        approaches any assembly of people — noble warriors, brahmans,
        householders, or contemplatives — he/she does so confidently & without
        embarrassment. And the fact that when one who gives, who is a master
        of giving, approaches any assembly of people — noble warriors,
        brahmans, householders, or contemplatives — he/she does so confidently
        & without embarrassment: this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible
        in the here & now.

        "Furthermore, at the break-up of the body, after death, one who gives,
        who is a master of giving, reappears in a good destination, the
        heavenly world. And the fact that at the break-up of the body, after
        death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good
        destination, the heavenly world: this is a fruit of generosity in the
        next life."

        When this was said, General Siha said to the Blessed One: "As for the
        four fruits of generosity visible in the here & now that have been
        pointed out by the Blessed One, it's not the case that I go by
        conviction in the Blessed One with regard to them. I know them, too. I
        am one who gives, a master of giving, dear & charming to people at
        large. I am one who gives, a master of giving; good people, people of
        integrity, admire me. I am one who gives, a master of giving, and my
        fine reputation is spread far & wide: 'Siha is generous, a doer, a
        supporter of the Sangha.' I am one who gives, a master of giving, and
        when I approach any assembly of people — noble warriors, brahmans,
        householders, or contemplatives — I do so confidently & without
        embarrassment.

        "But when the Blessed One says to me, 'At the break-up of the body,
        after death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a
        good destination, the heavenly world,' that I do not know. That is
        where I go by conviction in the Blessed One."

        "So it is, Siha. So it is. At the break-up of the body, after death,
        one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good
        destination, the heavenly world."

        One who gives is dear.
        People at large admire him.
        He gains honor. His status grows.
        He enters an assembly unembarrassed.
        He is confident — the man unmiserly.

        Therefore the wise give gifts.
        Seeking bliss,
        they would subdue the stain
        of miserliness.
        Established in the three-fold heavenly world,
        they enjoy themselves long
        in fellowship with the devas.

        Having made the opportunity for themselves,
        having done what is skillful,
        then when they fall from here
        they fare on, self-radiant, in Nandana.1

        There they delight, enjoy, are joyful,
        replete with the five sensuality strands.
        Having followed the words of the sage who is Such,
        they enjoy themselves in heaven —
        disciples of the One Well-gone."
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.034.than.html
      • Antony Woods
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2008
          Anguttara Nikaya 5.34
          Siha Sutta
          To General Siha (On Generosity)
          Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

          I have heard that on one occasion
          the Blessed One was staying near Vesali,
          in the Great Forest, at the Gabled Pavilion.
          Then General Siha went to the Blessed One
          and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side.
          As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One:
          "Is it possible, lord, to point out
          a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now?"

          "It is possible, Siha.
          One who gives, who is a master of giving,
          is dear & charming to people at large.
          And the fact that who is generous, a master of giving,
          is dear & charming to people at large:
          this is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

          "Furthermore, good people, people of integrity,
          admire one who gives, who is a master of giving.
          And the fact that good people, people of integrity,
          admire one who gives, who is a master of giving:
          this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

          "Furthermore, the fine reputation
          of one who gives, who is a master of giving,
          is spread far & wide.
          And the fact that the fine reputation
          of one who gives, who is a master of giving,
          is spread far & wide:
          this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

          "Furthermore, when one who gives, who is a master of giving,
          approaches any assembly of people —
          noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or contemplatives —
          he/she does so confidently & without embarrassment.
          And the fact that when one who gives, who is a master of giving,
          approaches any assembly of people —
          noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or contemplatives —
          he/she does so confidently & without embarrassment:
          this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

          "Furthermore, at the break-up of the body, after death,
          one who gives, who is a master of giving,
          reappears in a good destination, the heavenly world.
          And the fact that at the break-up of the body, after death,
[...]

          For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and
          Thanissaro Bhikkhu

              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2011
                Anguttara Nikaya 5.34
                Siha Sutta: To General Siha (On Generosity)
                translated from the Pali by
                Thanissaro Bhikkhu

                I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Vesali, in the Great Forest, at the Gabled Pavilion. Then General Siha went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Is it possible, lord, to point out a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now?"

                "It is possible, Siha. One who gives, who is a master of giving, is dear & charming to people at large. And the fact that who is generous, a master of giving, is dear & charming to people at large: this is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

                "Furthermore, good people, people of integrity, admire one who gives, who is a master of giving. And the fact that good people, people of integrity, admire one who gives, who is a master of giving: this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

                "Furthermore, the fine reputation of one who gives, who is a master of giving, is spread far & wide. And the fact that the fine reputation of one who gives, who is a master of giving, is spread far & wide: this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

                "Furthermore, when one who gives, who is a master of giving, approaches any assembly of people — noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or contemplatives — he/she does so confidently & without embarrassment. And the fact that when one who gives, who is a master of giving, approaches any assembly of people — noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or contemplatives — he/she does so confidently & without embarrassment: this, too, is a fruit of generosity visible in the here & now.

                "Furthermore, at the break-up of the body, after death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good destination, the heavenly world. And the fact that at the break-up of the body, after death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good destination, the heavenly world: this is a fruit of generosity in the next life."

                When this was said, General Siha said to the Blessed One: "As for the four fruits of generosity visible in the here & now that have been pointed out by the Blessed One, it's not the case that I go by conviction in the Blessed One with regard to them. I know them, too. I am one who gives, a master of giving, dear & charming to people at large. I am one who gives, a master of giving; good people, people of integrity, admire me. I am one who gives, a master of giving, and my fine reputation is spread far & wide: 'Siha is generous, a doer, a supporter of the Sangha.' I am one who gives, a master of giving, and when I approach any assembly of people — noble warriors, brahmans, householders, or contemplatives — I do so confidently & without embarrassment.

                "But when the Blessed One says to me, 'At the break-up of the body, after death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good destination, the heavenly world,' that I do not know. That is where I go by conviction in the Blessed One."

                "So it is, Siha. So it is. At the break-up of the body, after death, one who gives, who is a master of giving, reappears in a good destination, the heavenly world."