WWW Inventor Tim Berners-Lee: Selfless contribution to communication

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2013
      "Tim Berners-Lee, who created the World Wide Web, says he would never have succeeded if he had charged money for his inventions.
      "If I had tried to demand fees ... there would be no World Wide Web," Berners-Lee, 49, said at a ceremony for winning the first Millennium Technology Prize. "There would be lots of small webs."

      The prize committee agreed, citing the importance of Berners-Lee's decision never to commercialize or patent his contributions to the Internet technologies he had developed, and recognizing his revolutionary contribution to humanity's ability to communicate."
      http://www.myhero.com/myhero/heroprint.asp?hero=Web_Inventor_AP
      From: "Web Inventor finally earns a profit" by Mans Hulden

      TBL: "The development of the World Wide Web is a great example of human endeavor in which many people participated, driven by individual excitement and a common vision. There was no global management plan to make the World Wide Web. It happened because a very diverse group of people, connected by the Internet, wanted it to happen. The process was great fun, and still is. From the fact that it worked, I draw great hope for all our futures. May we now use every ability we have to communicate to build a society in which mutual respect, understanding and peace occur at all scales, between people and between nations."
      http://www.w3.org/2002/04/Japan/Lecture.html
      From: "The World Wide Web - Past Present and Future" by Tim Berners-Lee
      For Japan Prize Commemorative Lecture, 2002.