Real joy from giving without demanding appreciation by Ajahn Sumedho

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
      "Real joy comes from giving and not caring about whether anyone even knows or acknowledges it. As soon as the self comes in (for example: 'I'm giving this dana to you and it is very important that you know who's giving this dana. - ME, I'm giving it!') then the amount of joy that comes from giving is probably very minimal. If I'm so concerned about being recognised and being appreciated, that you appreciate my generosity and my goodness, then that becomes a joyless state of mind. One cannot feel happy or have real joyfulness in living if there is attachment to the idea that one's actions should be recognised. There's nothing wrong with people appreciating somebody else's goodness and generosity, but when we don't demand it, then there is joy."
      http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/documents/the_way_it_is/25atl.html
      From: A Time to Love by Ajahn Sumedho