Dana Intentions/Resolutions for 2004?

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New Year everyone.

      I'm a big one for resolutions. I think it's a helpful process -
      looking at the expereience of the previous year and thinking about
      ways to try to be more skillful.

      I'm intending to practice the Paramitas more explicitly this
      year, so Dana will be a big part of it.

      I'll continue the practice of giving my complete and undivided
      attention to my students, co-workers, friends and wife as best as
      possible. Our presence represents a kind of Dana.

      I'll give my time to my wife without whining about it as I have
      sometimes done in the past when removed from the things I wanted to
      do- these days, that's mostly meditating or studying dharma.

      How about the material aspects of Dana? It's time I start
      thinking more about that. I'll start by buying some books by
      favourite writers instead of being so eager to print things out for
      free. And I will find a charity to donate to.

      Back to the ones I can do for free! I'll practice with these
      online groups in a more mindful way, thinking less about how clever I
      can make my posts and more about what I can give to other members of
      the groups while wishing "may this be be helpful," as Sharon puts it.

      Wishing you all a very giving 2004.

      With Metta,

      Philip
    • Fenny
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
            Dear Philip,
            Thank you so much for your sharing. It's indeed a great 'dana', sharing your thoughts and experiences so that they will benefit others. I rejoice in your sharing, and intend to do the same (practicing Dana). I like your frank and sincere sharing. =)

            Recently I attended a talk by Venerable Kaizhao (anybody knows him? He's from Malaysia) and I was really inspired by his teaching on Metta. I'm sure he practices Metta himself because when he gave us talk on Metta and guide us through the Metta Meditation, many people can feel his Metta energy. =) I resolve to practice Metta to his level, which is definitely still very very far away from mine. =)

        May all of you here be well and happy always,
        Fen