RE: [dana-giving] Re: Any ideas?

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      My original intention in setting up the group was to transmit articles on
      dana from the web. Now I am remembering the following short extract and what
      I have learned so far from the group.

      My teacher Ven Pannyavaro wrote:

      "Information or Knowledge?

      It has never been consider that the Buddha's teachings are to be found
      only in the text, actually in the past the dharma was transmitted as
      much through oral teachings. There is a temptation to merely dump data
      (facts) online rather than exploit the new ways of presenting
      information that the technology provides Data and information do not
      necessarily translate into knowledge.

      The temple approach in teaching the dharma is through sermons with the
      teacher or the content being unchallenged. The new way is through group
      learning via discussion. On the net its chat groups where the teacher or
      moderator acts as a facilitator for an ongoing debate or discussion."
      http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha206.htm

      That's all for now.
      Best Wishes / Antony.