Dana takes many forms

    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2011
      "Dana, means "giving" or "generosity."
      It is the first of the perfections
      (parami, virtues necessary for awakening)
      in both Theravada & Mahayana Buddhism.
      It is also an ancient economic principle
      that guided societies that valued inter-relationship over things
      & heart values over commercial ones.
      (In our society, it may be enough to find the right balance among these values).

      Dana is an impulse & activity
      that sustains Buddhism on all levels.
      It is central to the ethos
      and survival of Buddhist practice communities
      and monastic sanghas.
      We give of ourselves and to each other
      in order that worthy actions, places of value,
      persons doing good work, and Dhamma practice
      will be supported enough to be vigorous and healthy.
      Dana takes many forms:
      the four requisites,
      Dhamma study & practice materials,
      office supplies, knowledge & skills,
      and, not just financial.
      Friendship & forgiveness are special forms of dana."
      http://www.liberationpark.org/about/dana.htm