An Antidote for Anger (Ven Visuddhacara)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      "In some cases, we can give a gift. For example, there may be a person who seems to dislike us and who often says bad things about us. It would be easy in such cases to respond with anger and frustration, and to hit back. But that is not the way for a disciple of the Buddha, whose motto is never to return hate with hate but to respond with love instead. So we can rise up to the challenge and do a most difficult thing by buying the person a gift! It would be a sign of our magnanimity and big-heartedness, that despite the bad intent of the other, we harbour no ill-will. We could then be cool and steady, knowing that we have refused to be drawn into any conflict or to seethe with anger or ill-will. And the other party too might well be touched by our noble gesture. He might soften in his stance against us. He might even become friendly. So giving a gift may do wonders."
      ~ p49 Curbing Anger Spreading Love by Bhikkhu Visuddhacara, Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

      Antony: In my case I apologized even though I thought I was only 10% in the wrong. After I gave the gifts I realized that I was the one to blame!

      Thanks for listening / Antony.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013