Sharing Merit by Sharon Salzberg

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2010
      "There's another meaningful practice in Buddhism called "sharing merit." Merit is a concept that says every time we turn our mind toward the good, there's an energy created. Every act of generosity and kindness, including meditation, generates positive energy. It's believed that the force of that energy is a conduit to those who have died. In traditional cultures like Burma, when somebody dies, the family will come to the monastery and feed the meditators, then dedicate the merit of this gift to the person who has died. They share the merit of that action.

      Once a friend of mine died before I went to sit a retreat. I told the teacher this on the first day and he said, "Well, now you'll have to do the retreat for both of you." So every night I did a sharing of the merit. You don't have to have spectacular meditations, just the fact that you even sat down to do it generates merit. It's aligning yourself with an energy of goodness. Throughout the retreat, I would dedicate my meditations to him and to all beings everywhere.

      Just like with the metta meditation, you start with people who have helped you in some way. You say, "May so and so be happy. May they be peaceful." Then you move to those who have died, those who are suffering, and then you include all beings everywhere. You can create your own progression, whatever seems right."
      http://www.beliefnet.com/Holistic-Living/Guided-Meditations/May-All-Beings-Be-Happy.aspx?p=3
      From: May All Beings Be Happy
      Two Buddhist meditation rituals, lovingkindness and sharing merit, can be valuable tools for healing.
      By Sharon Salzberg

        From: May All Beings Be Happy

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6 2:26 AM

          http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/Guided-Meditations/May-All-Beings-Be-Happy.aspx?p=3