Secret Good Deeds by Geri Larkin

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
      "When we are humble everyone is a potential best friend and our generosity naturally grows. We want to do things, to help out. A wonderful Zen tradition is called "inji-gyo," or secret good deeds. The virtue gained through performing a secret good deed is believed to be immense. So, in a monastery, if one watched closely, you might see a monk secretly mending another's robes or taking down someone's laundry and folding it before the rain comes. In our temple I often find chocolate spontaneously appearing in my mailbox, or a beautiful poem, unsigned. This year the Easter Bunny visited our Sunday service, leaving chocolate eggs under everyone's cushions, even the one prepared for a visiting Zen master. Sometimes the bathrooms are miraculously cleaned overnight. And flowers spontaneously appear in a neighbor's yard, thanks to the children in the temple. Secret good deeds. They are so much fun. In their doing you can't help but smile."
      http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/behaviour.html#secret
      ~ Geri Larkin in "Tap Dancing in Zen"
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2011