The Impulse to Share by Ajahn Pasanno

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2009
      "It's not just giving to monks and to the monastery
      that is part of the Thai culture. I noticed how natural
      it is for Thais to share. When we'd go to a dana, for
      a blessing ceremony in a village, we would usually
      be offered a Pepsi or Coke. After taking a few sips,
      we'd give the rest of bottle to one of the kids. Even
      if the child was little, he or she always shared it
      with friends. The adults do the same. The kids
      see generosity in their every day lives, so it gets
      reinforced. To grab the bottle, go off in the corner
      and gulp it down on your own doesn't really happen.
      The impulse is to share and to experience the joy and
      happiness that comes from generosity. As a result, a
      special sense of connection is created and sustained."
      http://www.abhayagiri.org/index.php/main/book/1095/
        From: The Delights of Dana
        Chapter 1 of "A Dhamma Compass" by Ajahn Pasanno

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6 10:27 PM
          From: The Delights of Dana
          Chapter 1 of "A Dhamma Compass" by Ajahn Pasanno