Abhaya Dana - Giving of non-fear

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2009
      Abhaya Dana – Giving of non-fear, trust, warmness, tolerance. In the
      consideration of the Gifts, when one gives space and allowance for
      others to move and time to think or by not be-little their
      capabilities or weaknesses one is considered as giving non-fear. In
      Anguttara Nikaya, book of the three, verse 172, the Buddha said that
      one should give in such that the donee does not feel humiliated,
      belittled or hurt.

      One should give with due consideration and respect and made the donee
      feel a warm welcome and like coming again. Personally involved in the
      act of giving such as giving with our own bare hands and promoting the
      rapport through our caring, willingness and concern attitudes with the
      donees will definitely enhance the quality of our abhaya-dana. What
      more if we were to give things that are good, choice, useful and
      appropriate. And not what is only fit to be thrown away.
      http://www.mahindarama.com/mbt/pali2.htm
      From: Pali Words for Daily Reflection
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2012
        "Abhaya Dana – Giving of non-fear, trust, warmness, tolerance. In the consideration of the Gifts, when one gives space and allowance for others to move and time to think or by not be-little their capabilities or weaknesses one is considered as giving non-fear. The Buddha said that one should give in such that the donee does not feel humiliated, belittled or hurt.

        http://web.archive.org/web/20050315234329/http://www.mahindarama.com/mbt/pali2.htm
        From: Pali Words for Daily Reflection