"Dana and Teacher Support" by Robert Beatty

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2007
      "Since the time of the Buddha there has been a tradition that those
      who offer the teachings are supported directly by their community.
      They do not ask for this, it is offered freely. In Asia, where it is
      understood that the practice of generosity (dana) forms the bedrock of
      spiritual practice this tradition has evolved into a system where the
      interdependence of those who teach the Dharma and their community is
      implicit. Those who devote themselves to teaching are held in great
      respect, and their communities take seriously the reciprocal
      responsibility for supporting the teacher and the teachings. In turn
      the teacher upholds the responsibility of living an exemplary life,
      and making the teachings readily available. It is understood that to
      support the teacher is to support oneself.

      The act of intentionally sharing one's energy, material wealth or time
      is understood to enhance one's capacity of letting go of attachments.
      This letting go is a central facet of the path of freedom from
      suffering. Support of the teacher takes the form of preparing food,
      providing transportation and medical care, constructing and
      maintaining shelter and providing all the requisites of life for
      him/her. This allows the teacher to devote him/herself to practice,
      study and deepen his/her ability to realize and share the Dharma.

      <big snip>

      Generosity, as the foundation of our spiritual life helps us recognize
      and practice our natural interconnectedness. As life gives generously
      to us, so we give generously back to life. We belong to what we
      support, and we are nourished by it."
      http://www.portlandinsight.org/resources_main.html
      Posted with the kind permission of Robert Beatty