How to Understand the Practice of Dana

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2006
      "Dana is the practice of generosity.
      It is the first of the Three Pillars of the Dhamma that the Buddha
      taught.
      Our hearts/minds develop fully when we practice each of these pillars
      with sincerity.
      These three pillars are all mindfulness practices:

      Dana - Developing a generous heart through sharing.
      Sila - Developing harmony through wise action and wise speech.
      Bhavana - Developing the mind/heart through meditation.

      The practice of generosity gives us the opportunity to express our
      gratitude, to develop qualities of loving kindness, compassion and
      equanimity, to experience the joy of sharing, and to cultivate non-
      attachment and greater awareness.

      Through our mindful practice of dana, we use wise reflection. We
      consider our giving in a very thoughtful, careful, and respectful
      manner. Otherwise, we may give in a hurry-up unconscious way, through
      habit, or just because it seems to be the custom. When we practice
      sincerely, it elevates this very important action from a place of
      mere unconscious habit, to a place of more refined conscious
      intention.

      In this way, we begin to understand with deeper confidence that there
      is compassion and wisdom developing in our hearts... through
      compassion and generosity we benefit others, and through wisdom we
      know that we are also benefiting ourselves by nourishing our own
      highest spiritual aspirations.
      http://www.vipassanametta.org/dana.html
      From: How to Understand the Practice of Dana from Vipassana Metta
      Foundation on Maui Hawaii.