Dana (generosity) by Dharmahouse

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006
      Dana (generosity) is the basis of all spiritual work. Dana is a
      Sanskrit and Pali word meaning `generosity', `giving' or `gift'. It is
      directly related to the Latin word donum, and the English words donor
      and donation.
      <snip>
      The act of giving itself is of enormous benefit for the giver, for it
      opens up the heart, helps us let go of attachment and places value on
      the well-being of others.
      http://www.thedharmahouse.com/danalink.htm
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2011
        http://www.thedharmahouse.com/danalink.htm (broken link)

        Message 3 of 4 , May 27 6:44 PM
          "Dana (generosity) is the basis of all spiritual work. Dana is a Sanskrit and Pali word meaning 'generosity', 'giving' or 'gift'. It is directly related to the Latin word donum, and the English words donor and donation.
          <snipped>
          The act of giving itself is of enormous benefit for the giver, for it opens up the heart, helps us let go of attachment and places value on the well-being of others."
          http://www.thedharmahouse.com/danalink.htm (broken link)

          With metta / Antony.
        • Colin Neal
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
            Dear Antony...

            Dana has been of immense benefit to me. I mostly help the elderly poor, through direct personal involvement in doing things for them that they cannot do for themselves, such as doing no-charge handyman work. On a regular basis, this forces me to very clearly see the reality of the Buddha's teachings about impermanence and suffering, and the futility of looking to any conditioned phenomena to provide any lasting happiness. I see aging, illness and death on a regular basis, and it makes me very serious about trying to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.

            Thanks....Colin

            "Dana (generosity) is the basis of all spiritual work. Dana is a Sanskrit and Pali word meaning 'generosity', 'giving' or 'gift'. It is directly related to the Latin word donum, and the English words donor and donation.
            <snipped>
            The act of giving itself is of enormous benefit for the giver, for it opens up the heart, helps us let go of attachment and places value on the well-being of others."
            http://www.thedharmahouse.com/danalink.htm (broken link)

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to: