5 uses of wealth by a noble disciple

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2005
      Veneration to the Most Exalted, the Purified, the Supremely
      Enlightened Buddha

      "Herein, householder, there are five uses to which wealth can be put.
      They are:

      "With the wealth that has been obtained by his own diligent labor,
      acquired through the strength of his own arms and the sweat of his
      own brow, rightly acquired, rightly gained, the noble disciple
      supports himself comfortably, sufficiently, he applies himself to
      seeing to his own happiness in rightful ways. He supports his father
      and mother ... wife and children, servants and workers comfortably,
      to a sufficiency, applying himself to their needs and their happiness
      as is proper. This is the first benefit to obtained from wealth.

      "Moreover, with the wealth.....rightly gained, the noble disciple
      supports his friends and associates comfortably, to a sufficiency,
      taking an interest in their happiness as is proper. This is the
      second benefit to be derived from wealth.

      "Moreover, with the wealth.......rightly gained, the noble disciple
      protects his wealth from the dangers of confiscation by kings, theft,
      fire, flood, and appropriation by unfavored relatives. He sees to his
      own security. This is the third benefit to be derived from wealth.

      "Moreover, with the wealth......rightly gained, the noble disciple
      makes the five kinds of sacrifice. They are: to relatives (supporting
      relatives); to visitors (receiving guests); to ancestors (offerings
      made in the name of ancestors); to the king (for taxes and public
      works); and to the gods (that is, he supports religion). This is
      another benefit to be derived from wealth.

      "Moreover, with the wealth that has been obtained by his own diligent
      labor, acquired through the strength of his own arms and the sweat of
      his own brow, rightly acquired, rightly gained, the noble disciple
      makes offerings which are of the highest merit, which are conducive
      to mental well-being, happiness and heaven, to religious mendicants,
      those who live devoted to heedfulness, are established in patience
      and gentleness, are trained, calmed, and cooled of defilements. This
      is the fifth benefit to be obtained from wealth.

      "Householder, there are these five benefits to be obtained from
      wealth. If wealth is used by a noble disciple in such a way that
      these five benefits are fulfilled, and if it should then become
      spent, that noble disciple can reflect thus: 'Whatever benefit is to
      be obtained from wealth, I have obtained. Now my wealth is spent.'
      That noble disciple experiences no distress on that account. And if,
      after that noble disciple has used his wealth to provide these five
      benefits, that wealth should increase, that noble disciple reflects
      thus: 'Whatever benefit is to be obtained from my wealth I have
      already obtained. And now my wealth has increased.' That noble
      disciple is also not distressed on that account; he is distressed in
      neither case." [A.III.45]
      http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/econ5.htm#The%20Benefits
      From: Chapter 5, "Buddhist Economics: A Middle Way for the Market
      Place" by Ven P.A. Payutto.
    • Antony Woods
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2005
        "With his wealth collected justly,
        won through his own efforts,
        he shares both food and drink
        with beings who are in need.

        Itivuttaka 66

        From: "The Daily Words of the Buddha", a free service of Pariyatti,
        sent by request to those who subscribe at:
        http://www.pariyatti.com/words.phtml

        --- In dana-giving@yahoogroups.com, "Antony Woods" <antony272b@h...>