Sharing Joy - Ayya Khema

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2005
      "Joy with others is also good karma-making. I was in a little village
      once where there was a special bell attached to the temple. Whenever
      anyone in that village had some good fortune, they would go and ring
      that bell. If the harvest was brought in, or the daughter got married,
      if someone came back from the hospital, or a good business deal had
      been arranged, if the roof had been reshingled, anything at all that
      gave them joy. When the bell was rung everybody would come out, look in
      the direction of the person who was ringing the bell and say, 'Well
      done. Well done.' The one who was ringing the bell was making good
      karma by making it possible for the others to share his joy. The others
      were making good karma by sharing another's joy."
      http://www.serve.com/cmtan/buddhism/Treasure/sharingjoy.html
      Taken from "Being Nobody Going Nowhere" by Ayya Khema.
      (Contributed by JoAnne Bondy)