My fish

  • morty_baby
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      ..are staring staring staring at me.

      I have a 25 gallon tank right by my desk and yes they usually do stare
      at me anyway but more so since I have stopped feeding them.
      There are only 3 fish in the whole tank; two neons and an albino
      catfish. The catfish keeps blowing dozens of shiny pearl-like eggs
      onto the sides of the aquarium in a futile last ditch attempt to carry
      on its species, but because there are no males to fertilize them and
      sadly, no food to eat, it is all for naught.

      Because of months of neglect, the others have done their version of
      running away from home by *sob* dying on me. Well, some didn't just
      come right out and die to be truthful. Some met their timely demise in
      the cold harsh waters of my toilet bowl. Sickly and near death anyway,
      I decided to hasten their journey to that big ancestral pond in the
      sky by flushing them. But first, I let them swim around a bit. It
      seems that every time I deposit a fish on its last fins into that
      brisk water, it breathes new life into them for a short while, so then
      I start to feel a bit guilty and think: should I scoop them out again?
      Nah.. sometimes I just have to say piss on it.
      And sometimes I do.
      Sometimes I forget that I am giving them one last romp around the bowl
      before I flush and a beloved family member makes a shocking discovery
      whilst turning around to view their handiwork before THEY flush.

      Anyway, my daughter loves the aquarium, and wants to keep it forEVER,
      along with all her baby teeth, every toy she has ever owned and many
      many frightening childhood memories. So out of some misguided motherly
      love for her, I am slowly starving the last few fish, doing us all a
      favor really, as that spot would work just as well for a bookshelf
      slash bar.
      I just wish they would stop ..you know.. staring at me in the process.
      I wonder how her hamster is doing?