Wal Mart PA System

  • ZZdawg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18 5:32 PM
      When battling bar-code plastic monsters of consumerism is your style,
      you're almost required to go head to head with Sam Walton's legendary
      Wal-mart at some point in time. While abusing Wal-mart's announcement
      system from within the store is a time-honored tradition, it almost
      always results in being removed from the store - In essence, you've
      won a battle, but lost the war.

      However, even the tiniest foray into the inner depths of the P.A.
      system will uncover the fact that while the phones in the store have
      grey buttons on them for use with the paging system, all those
      buttons really do is transfer one to the paging extension. This is
      the same in most other department stores, including at least the K-
      mart and Fred Meyers chains. In cases of ambiguity, the simplest
      route to obtaining the extension number for the system is to call the
      phone number listed in the phone book for your Wal-mart, ask the
      receptionist to be transferred to a specific department, and ask
      questions. (Originally, I called the Electronics department and
      claimed to be an employee in the Automotive section, complaining that
      my paging button was broken. Tim, Electronics department guru,
      politely informed me that all Wal-mart paging systems can be reached
      through extension #96.)

      To put this in the simplest terms possible:

      1) Call a Wal-mart store from any phone.

      2) Ask to be transferred to #96, or ask to be transferred to another
      department, and then convince the employee there to transfer you
      there.

      3) Speak. Everything you say into the phone will echo throughout the
      bubble-wrapped innards of your friendly neighborhood Wal-mart.
    • Amy Jo - Gus - Patty Bush
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28 7:57 PM
        I can't wait to try that. Unfortunately the Wal-mart just closed
        half an hour ago.