Friday Juggling Sacramento McKinley

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
      Good group of people showed up last Friday. Come on out and join us!

      Friday Juggling
      6p-dark
      McKinley Park, Sacramento

      **Meet on the H Street side between the rose garden and duck pond while
      the fence is still up in front of the brick library building.

      http://maps.google.com/maps?
      f=q&hl=en&q=601++alhambra+blvd,+sacramento,ca&sll=38.57905,-
      121.49096&sspn=0.187874,0.338173&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1
    • Jonathan Burke
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2008
        Hello Damentos:

        The last couple weeks, at McKinley Park, Chris, Andy, and I have been
        working on a 3 man 3 club sharing routine. We got the idea for the
        routine from some old 8mm film footage that my dad took at the 1968
        IJA convention at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in L.A.

        One of the three jugglers in the 8mm footage is a 78 year old ex-
        vaudevillian named Homer Stack. Another juggler on the film may be
        Lottie Brunn (sp?) a famous juggler of the 30s, 40s & 50s. I'll have
        to research that.

        Homer Stack was the guy who really got me launched into juggling. I
        was living in Marin county at the time and he was the closest juggler
        that I knew of - over 50 miles away in Burlingame, California. I
        bought some juggling sticks and lacrosse balls from him and later when
        I had saved up some money bought some clubs and wooden rings from
        him. He and a neighbor made wooden ribbed clubs over which some kind
        of cardboard/plastic material was stretched or molded. These clubs
        were amazing works of art and functionality and he sold them for the
        princely sum of $12 each. God only knows how many hours of labor were
        invested in making each one.

        Homer kind of talked like a gangster. He would always use the word
        "see." As in, "This is how you do it see, see." Imagine Edward G.
        Robinson saying it and that was Homer. Homer had unbelievable STYLE
        when he juggled. I vaguely remember him juggling four and maybe five
        but what he did best was three ball juggling. There was something
        smooth, magical, and incredibly entertaining about the way he juggled
        three balls. Homer was all about THE ACT and the persona and his
        juggling of three balls was far more entertaining than anyone else
        juggling huge numbers of objects. His three ball tricks were
        obviously chosen for effect - not to impress other jugglers. Although
        he did do some difficult tricks the hard tricks looked as smooth as
        his cascade or shower. He was a true performer of the legendary
        vaudeville. Homer did a lot of floor bouncing as well. Everything
        that I knew about juggling came from Homer, at least until I started
        juggling in the Rennaisance Faire and stared meeting other jugglers.

        People dropped in constantly at his house to juggle with him and to
        buy props. I would wonder at the juxtaposition between the mostly
        hippie looking street people who would hear of him and stop by and
        Homer, the old timer. One time when I was at Homer's house the girl
        who is on Youtube winning the Gong Show dropped by. She was just
        another hippie in a VW bus.

        Andy suggested that I Google Homer Stack - so - I did. Below are a
        very short article on him as well as a "Memoriam" that indicates that
        he died in 1987 at the age of 96.

        Homer Stack was a true institution. He coached countless jugglers,
        some of whom had very successful acts, and he was the only supplier of
        props in this area. There were no catalog companies for juggling
        equipment back then. In my opinion his supplying of props did more
        than anything to motivate jugglers to continue to improve and to
        juggle with their new colorful props in public. It did for me!

        Here is the article on Homer Stack which looks like it is from the
        archives of juggle.org: http://juggle.org/archives/jugmags/37-1/37-1,p8.htm

        Here is the "In Memoriam" juggling obituary of Homer Stack: http://www.juggling.org/jw/87/4/news.html

        Here is a 7 min. documentary of Lottie & Francis Brunn. I really like
        the professional voice over and was interested to hear them talk about
        the uncertainty of performance juggling. They sum it up very well. I
        think we have all struggled with the riskiness of juggling but haven't
        heard it expressed before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQbpk2rfK9o

        Cheers.

        Jonathan Burke
        5042 Stroman Lane