The Natural and The Swan Brothers

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2006
      This weekend, some juggling happenings begged to be reported.

      Saturday
      The children in Galt were very shy, but Chris, Charlie and I did
      teach several people how to juggle including a mom with two girls.
      We also met Don who after learning how to juggle showed us some
      crazy body coordination thing that he had made up himself. If I
      remember correctly this is the pattern: Left arm goes up, down, out,
      then repeats. Right arm goes up, down, out, in, then repeats.
      Eventually the arms sync up again, then switch the arm patterns.
      Right leg goes up, forward, back, sideways, down, then switch legs.
      The arms and legs all are going at the same time. I think there may
      have been some head movements that he added too, but I think his sons
      were a little embarrassed that he'd shown us that much and were ready
      to leave.
      Near the end of our gig, a kid came in and learned to juggle three
      balls in a matter of minutes. While he was practicing three balls he
      sometimes was juggling two in one hand, so I showed him four balls.
      Then I started showing him clubs. In about twenty-five minutes, he
      was juggling three balls and trying to incorporate behind the back
      throws into his pattern and starting out with an under the leg toss,
      plus could also juggle four balls synchronously. I think if we had
      given him some clubs and an hour outside, he would have been juggling
      clubs too. Aleck(?) said that he played baseball so already had some
      coordination and he said he hadn't juggled before.

      Sunday
      At the Western Festival in Elk Grove Regional Park, I saw the Swan
      Brothers. Yes, the guys that sometimes show up to Damento with their
      homemade felt hats. Yes, one of them is an IJA joggling champion. I
      saw part of their show and Chris saw more of it. They had their
      medium sized tent set up. They used to have bleachers for their
      larger tent (but the insurance was $4,000/yr compared to $400 without
      bleachers). To see Chris juggling with the Swan Brothers and Andy's
      juggling eggs upside-down while suspended from a bar trick, here are
      some photos:
      http://marianme.shutterfly.com/action/?a=8QcsWTVw3cMSM