Buffalo Saturday

  • Hello Hello
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
      After staying up through Saturday and into Sunday and travelling
      back, I'm sooo tired.

      I overheard that this year's Cascade of Stars show was about average
      for the IJA. Last year's was extraordinary. Several shows seemed
      repeats of things we had seen earlier in the week. Artem Khomanko
      did his routine from competition but this time caught the ninth ring
      by diving for it. Teams and Seniors Champions Vova & Olga Galchenko
      and Thomas Dietz redid their performance. Vova & Olga did a
      character reversal with Vova coming out in the pink skirt and hooded
      jacket, chewing gum and bouncing around. Cindy Marvell did something
      that looked similar to her competition routine. The Flying Karamazov
      Brothers did Jazz again. Nicholas Flair did a tumbling cigar box
      routine. Tuey Wilson did comedy ball spinning - did ball spinning on
      head, mouthstick, both hands and played a kazoo and a party favor at
      the same time.
      The Flying Wallendas was actually a performance art piece by Jay
      Gilligan with a bunch of people objects - 4 people juggling three
      balls with elastic bands from their hands to their feet. One person
      juggling three inbetween two people facing out with elastic bands
      that connected their feet. One person putting together a block
      puzzle. One person sitting on the floor rolling balls down to
      inclines. One person operating some swinging sicle (sp) objects.
      Was a pretty picture - something you would probably see touring
      schools.
      Drew Richardson did a clown act where he dug a hole behind a screen
      on stage and threw a bunch of balls in the "hole" and when he took
      the screen offstage none of the balls were on the ground.
      Vitaliy Khomanko did a rolla bolla routine and played accordian and
      then a string instrument on top. Looked like different shaped coffee
      cans. Upright can, rolla, upright can, rolla in perpendicular
      direction, upright can, two upright cans, rolla board. Afterwards
      hear that this is a common Russian trick, but I hadn't seen it before
      and thought it was great.
      Michael Rosman was MC and put a cup of water on his head and drank
      from it without using his hands which involved doing a backwards roll
      on the floor. Also did a card trick using a projection screen to
      show the cards that got off sync. Cards were shuffling on screen and
      cards were falling all over the floor on stage. He did end up with
      the volunteer's card though both on screen and stage.
      Shea Theater was beautiful - like a deluxe/upscale version of the
      Crest Theater with more moulding and carvings and chandeliers in
      front of mirrors. Three levels (like the Sacramento Community
      Center). Velvet chairs. Marble.

      Did more juggling at the gym and then sat around talking and chatting
      with people until it was time to go check out of the hotel and go to
      the airport.

      And that was Buffalo IJA
    • micgoose@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
        appreciate all the scoop, wish I was there...Goose.