$80 gig ASAP

  • patricia
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13 4:15 PM
      Jolly Holiday Entertainment needs a roaming juggler
      for their Mardi Gras Jubilee in Old Sacramento.
      Must wear green, purple and gold carnaval-type
      costume; jester hat preferred.
      Friday, Feb 20 from 6-8pm pay is $80.
      Sunday, Feb 22 from 4-6pm pay is $80.

      It can be same person for both days or different.
      Whoever can and wants to do it, pls. reply to this
      list and specify if you're doing one or both days, so
      we know the job is filled AND call Linda at
      916-747-1800 or 916-478-2424 to confirm. Her email is
      lindaishere123@....

      Also, pls. let me know if you got the job.
      thanks.

      patricia

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Sondance
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14 8:39 PM
        I have a question.

        But before I ask it, I'll mwntion why I'm asking. Before I moved to
        Sacramento, I was on decent terms with many of the performers in the city I
        lived in. I was on what I would describe as "friendly acquaintance" terms
        with the local juggling club and its members, the chapters of SAM and IBM,
        several of the professional clowns, and a few variety
        entertainers. Between us, we held a professional courtesy, which included
        the ability to share information about local agents who were in the habit
        of disrespecting performers, or even downright screwing them. Anytime an
        agent hired a performer for a gig, then changed the hours, lowered to
        promised pay, or cancelled without proper notice. We learned which we
        could trust based on a phone call, and which we had to insist on written,
        notarized contracts with. Some agencies got to the point where none of us
        would work for them, regardless of contracts, promises, or divine
        revelation because of their reputations of mistreating performers.

        So, with all of that in mind, my question is this. If I knew of a forty+
        year old person still living with their parents who was misrepresenting
        themselves as a "full service entertainment company", had a track record of
        not using contracts with customers then expecting performers to accept
        lowered pay or reduced hours, cancellations with little or no notice and NO
        pay, and -once again due to lack of written contracts- miscommunications
        about performance details, and I wanted to warn other people to be careful
        about working with this person and to INSIST on signed contracts whenever
        working with this person or risk getting burned- badly- would it be
        appropriate to post such a warning here?

      • Zack
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14 11:02 PM
          Sondance, Hello,
          I believe that this group would be interested in learning about that
          kind of thing. Agents and Agencys who dont treat the performers
          professionally should be outed and the performers themselves then can
          decide whether or not to work with the agents.
          You said you had a "friendly acquaintance" in the
          past with the local juggling club in another town. I beleive the
          information you have to share with us would require a friendly
          acquaintance with us also, and I wish that were the case. Please come
          to juggle with us and get friendly with us. We are all interested in
          working performers. Then you can share with us not only the nasty
          bits you have seen but some of the nicer things also.
          I know you have gone to some of the Damento Fests in the past,
          were you at this last one? we had a very solid Damento turn-out and
          everyone one was very helpful. We would definetly appreciate having
          your help as well as your warnings.

        • Jeff Newmiller
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14 11:56 PM
            On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Sondance wrote:

            > I have a question.
            >
            > But before I ask it, I'll mwntion why I'm asking. Before I moved to
            > Sacramento, I was on decent terms with many of the performers in the city I
            > lived in. I was on what I would describe as "friendly acquaintance" terms
            > with the local juggling club and its members, the chapters of SAM and IBM,
            > several of the professional clowns, and a few variety
            > entertainers. Between us, we held a professional courtesy, which included
            > the ability to share information about local agents who were in the habit
            > of disrespecting performers, or even downright screwing them. Anytime an
            > agent hired a performer for a gig, then changed the hours, lowered to
            > promised pay, or cancelled without proper notice. We learned which we
            > could trust based on a phone call, and which we had to insist on written,
            > notarized contracts with. Some agencies got to the point where none of us
            > would work for them, regardless of contracts, promises, or divine
            > revelation because of their reputations of mistreating performers.
            >
            > So, with all of that in mind, my question is this. If I knew of a forty+
            > year old person still living with their parents who was misrepresenting
            > themselves as a "full service entertainment company", had a track record of
            > not using contracts with customers then expecting performers to accept
            > lowered pay or reduced hours, cancellations with little or no notice and NO
            > pay, and -once again due to lack of written contracts- miscommunications
            > about performance details, and I wanted to warn other people to be careful
            > about working with this person and to INSIST on signed contracts whenever
            > working with this person or risk getting burned- badly- would it be
            > appropriate to post such a warning here?

            I suppose that would be up to you, but I would suggest you consider some
            points:

            a) This mailing list is archived in public view. You may find the
            target(s) of such warnings may later find this archive and complain... up
            to the point of legal action. I have been involved (indirectly) in one
            such incident in a different context in the past, and would suggest you be
            very careful about making any possibly defamatory statements... in
            private _or_ public places.

            b) I know there are pros in the Sacramento area that don't post on this
            list. There is a good chance that they may not see your warning. If they
            _do_ read this list, your post above may be enough to prompt them to
            contact you. If not, you probably ought to be using a different forum.

            Good luck, and whatever you do, keep on juggling! ;)

            DCN:<jdnewmil@...> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
            Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing
          • Sondance
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15 6:29 AM
              At 11:02 PM 2/14/2004, you wrote:
              > I know you have gone to some of the Damento Fests in the past,
              >were you at this last one? we had a very solid Damento turn-out and
              >everyone one was very helpful. We would definetly appreciate having
              >your help as well as your warnings.

              Actually, I really wanted to make it to the Fest last weekend, but I got a
              last minute booking. Seems like luck hasn't been on my side
              lately... I've had several weekends lately where the bookings were few and
              far between, then on the ONE weekend I would have LIKED to have had free, I
              got the biggest booking I've had so far this year. I almost drove down for
              the public show on Saturday night, but at the last minute I decided not
              to. I was tired, and besides that, I was still in my clown makeup and
              costume, and I haven't been treated very well in the past by some of the
              Fest attendees when I showed up in my work clothes. (Sometimes I'd really
              like to know where some folks get such an anti-clown attitude, but oh well.)

              As far as the "agency", I have had a few bad experiences with one local
              person who acts as an agent when she can't accommodate a client herself. I
              had been working with her very steadily for awhile, mostly for birthday
              parties but also a few small corporate events. I had already had ten years
              in the business when I met her, as she was just beginning. I am a poor
              marketer, but a decent performer. She, on the other hand, is a smooth
              talker and good at booking, but short on skills, and little experience in
              the entertainment-booking department. That inexperience most often
              manifested itself in her outright refusal to use written contracts with her
              clients. That led to communication problems on many occasions, such as
              mistakes in event locations and performance details. Although annoying,
              these problems were usually fairly easy for me to deal with, since I've had
              a lot of prior experience dealing with customers, and my performances
              usually left the customer very pleased, to the point where they were able
              to overlook a problem or two.

              Some of the bigger problems of not using contracts, however, are not as
              easy to deal with. To me, one of the biggest is the tendency of people to
              weasel out of their commitments unless they are contractually bound to
              them. Many of us have been there... customer calls and requests a birthday
              party show for Saturday, then for whatever reason, calls up on Friday to
              cancel. Personally, I use contracts and deposits, and in twelve years I
              have had less than half a dozen people cancel after they paid a
              deposit. However, when I would make the occasional booking- usually a last
              minute one, with less than a week before the party date- the cancellation
              rate went way up. I warned this agent about this, and many times advised
              her to get bookings in writing, but during the entire time I worked with
              her, she never did. Another time, a customer hired her for two performers
              for two hours, then the night before, she said that the "second"
              performer's time had been cut from two hours to a half hour. When I got
              irate with her, and told her that a half hour's pay wasn't even worth the
              amount of money, she actually accused me of burning her and sticking her
              with no second performer at the last minute. I finally told her that I
              would do it, but that I would not work with her again without a signed
              contract from the customer.

              Another problem that happened was when she sold her show to a particular
              customer, then at the last minute- literally less than an hour before the
              start time, called me and sent me to that customer's party. She had
              originally booked me for another customer a half hour later, but traded me
              that booking for this one. (Her excuse was that she had to do a show for
              these people a week later, and didn't have enough material to do two
              different acts for the same audience without repeating herself.) The first
              problem was that this party was a half hour earlier, AND further away from
              where I was coming from for me to get there on time, and she knew this. I
              was eleven minutes late, and called the customer from my cell phone to tell
              her what happened and that I would be there soon, but the customer was
              angry. Turns out, this customer had hired a bounce house, and the bouncer
              company delivered it late, so she was completely livid with "you
              entertainment companies". Before I even got there, the customer was
              already dissatisfied. Problem one. Now, because the agent had described
              her own "show" to the customer at the time the booking was made, the
              customer was expecting some specific things that she does at birthday
              parties. I don't do those things. Customer was upset that those things
              didn't happen. Problem two. Okay, we have a customer who is upset because
              her entertainer was late. Now she is doubly upset because the entertainer
              didn't do some of the things she expected. (Agent never told me the
              customer was expecting anything specific- she just told me to go and do my
              usual birthday party show, which I did.) So, after party is over, customer
              follows me out and complains that she didn't get what she was
              promised. She admits that my show was fine, and even admits that the kids
              totally enjoyed it, but she is still unhappy. I told her that I would have
              the agent call her and "make things right" with her. Customer asked how,
              and I said "I don't know specifically how she will handle it with
              you. Myself, if I had a problem with a customer, I'd offer a discount on
              another show. But she'll call you and you and she can decide how you want
              to proceed". The customer seemed satisfied with that reply, so she paid me
              the total, and I left. Later, the agent called me and said that the
              customer was demanding a partial refund ($75), and that *I* had to give her
              that amount to cover the customer's refund. PROBLEM THREE. Later, I found
              out that she had described this incident to another performer in town by
              saying that I "showed up late and did a lousy job", so she wasn't going to
              use me anymore. Keep in mind that I was late because she had switched me
              to this party from the later one. Also keep in mind that the
              customer never complained to me about my show, only that it wasn't like
              the one the agent had described to her.

              Sorry about such a long post. I guess the bottom line is this. After
              several warnings about using contracts, she still refused to get anything
              in writing, and the cancellations cost me money, because they came too late
              for me to book anything else in their place. Then she lied about my
              performance to other performers in the area. I found out that she has done
              this to other clowns in the area. She already has a reputation in the
              local clown club. It would be bad if someone had to get burned out of
              money for people in the juggling club to find out how she treats people, so
              my main message would to tell anyone who is considering working for her to
              GET A WRITTEN CONTRACT with her, whether or not she has one with her end
              customer.

              So, my original question remains. Should I mention names, or just make it
              a generic warning about agents in general?

            • Sondance
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15 6:44 AM
                At 11:56 PM 2/14/2004, Jeff wrote:
                >I suppose that would be up to you, but I would suggest you consider some
                >points:
                >
                >a) This mailing list is archived in public view. You may find the
                >target(s) of such warnings may later find this archive and complain... up
                >to the point of legal action. I have been involved (indirectly) in one
                >such incident in a different context in the past, and would suggest you be
                >very careful about making any possibly defamatory statements... in
                >private _or_ public places.
                >
                >b) I know there are pros in the Sacramento area that don't post on this
                >list. There is a good chance that they may not see your warning. If they
                >_do_ read this list, your post above may be enough to prompt them to
                >contact you. If not, you probably ought to be using a different forum.

                I understand what you're saying.

                Even if it ever came to that, I could produce a list of people who could
                readily testify that she has defamed *me* on more than one occasion, and at
                least once publicly. If there were any legal actions to be taken, they
                would be mine, if I were the type who did that sort of thing. Luckily
                though, as I said in my original post, her reputation was already known
                amongst the people she talked to, so no one believed her. However, since I
                don't know if her reputation has spread beyond that small group, I would at
                least like to spare anyone else the same headaches that I had.

                Guess I'll just start using a sig-line that says: ALWAYS USE CONTRACTS!!!

              • Zack Phillips
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15 7:22 AM
                  So, my original question remains. Should I mention names, or just make it
                  a generic warning about agents in general?

                  -just save it for some one else who can make heads or tails of it. I have had a fine experience with this unnamed agent. If I knew you better perhaps I could speak more freely.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                  Click Here