5 founders needed

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
      Howdy Eric,

      Did you already see this message?

      Welcome to the Brights discussion list. You and I are the only ones on
      the list right now. We need 5 students to start a student organization
      at UTD. I know one other student who said she would be willing to be a
      founder. We would then need to recruit 2 more students plus a faculty
      member.

      --
      David Wallace Croft
      http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~croft/
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
        David Wallace Croft wrote:
        > Did you already see this message?

        Whoops. Wrong URL. Here is the right one:

        David Wallace Croft
        http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~croft/
        (214) 731-9284
      • Eric S. Russell
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004

          Hey there David….hmmmm…. unfortunately, I haven’t talked enough with other students or faculty to find out where they stand, religiously, however, I would be willing to ask the HOMAGE group if we could use some of their space on the Bulletin board in Green Hall to try and let people know that we are wanting to start an Atheist Group, which would be awesome!

          Let me know of any ideas you might have!! Two heads are better than one!!

          Eric S. Russell

          Welcome to the Brights discussion list.  You and I are the only ones on
          the list right now.  We need 5 students to start a student organization
          at UTD.  I know one other student who said she would be willing to be a
          founder.  We would then need to recruit 2 more students plus a faculty
          member.

          --
          David Wallace Croft
          http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~croft/
          (214) 731-9284

          --
          Brights @ UTD Discussion
          http://www.the-brights.net/

        • Eric S. Russell
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004

            Hey David, just read the article you put into the Mercury! WoW, I’m glad you took a stand like that! You are absolutely right! We should also try and get some support from the National Atheist Organization, which is looking to promote Humanism, Agnostician, Atheism, etc, etc on college campuses. Apparently, the Fundamentalist Right has waged a new campaign to indoctrinate and propagandize the young people of today with the false rhetoric that “Jesus wants each and every one of us for a sunbeam”. It amazes me that intelligent people, many of whom are in the science field no less, believe in a supernatural entity that will save them from “eternal hellfire and damnation”. We should do SOMETHING, hold a rally, invite speakers, SOMETHING.

            Brainstorm a bit and let me know what you think!!

            Eric S. Russell

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
              What is this about an article David put in the Mercury? I thought it
              only came out every two weeks...I checked the website and couldn't
              find anything...help me out here, I'd like to read it!

              Chana

              --- "Eric S. Russell" <ericbear75@...> wrote:
              > Hey David, just read the article you put into the Mercury! WoW, I'm
              > glad you
              > took a stand like that! You are absolutely right! We should also
              > try and get
              > some support from the National Atheist Organization, which is
              > looking to
              > promote Humanism, Agnostician, Atheism, etc, etc on college
              > campuses.
              > Apparently, the Fundamentalist Right has waged a new campaign to
              > indoctrinate and propagandize the young people of today with the
              > false
              > rhetoric that "Jesus wants each and every one of us for a sunbeam".
              > It
              > amazes me that intelligent people, many of whom are in the science
              > field no
              > less, believe in a supernatural entity that will save them from
              > "eternal
              > hellfire and damnation". We should do SOMETHING, hold a rally,
              > invite
              > speakers, SOMETHING.
              >
              > Brainstorm a bit and let me know what you think!!
              >

              > Eric S. Russell

              http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
            • David Wallace Croft
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                Eric,

                Eric S. Russell wrote:
                > you took a stand like that! You are absolutely right! We should also try
                > and get some support from the National Atheist Organization, which is
                > looking to promote Humanism, Agnostician, Atheism, etc, etc on college
                > campuses. Apparently, the Fundamentalist Right has waged a new campaign

                Good idea. I think there is something called Secular Students or
                something like that as well.

                > to indoctrinate and propagandize the young people of today with the
                > false rhetoric that ?Jesus wants each and every one of us for a
                > sunbeam?. It amazes me that intelligent people, many of whom are in the

                Did you see the pro-life glossy insert that comes wrapped in the current
                issue of the student newspaper? According to it, Planned Parenthood is
                a racist organization.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 21, 2004
                  Chana,

                  --- In brights-utd@yahoogroups.com, Chana Williford <nerdy_bitch@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > What is this about an article David put in the Mercury? I thought it
                  > only came out every two weeks...I checked the website and couldn't
                  > find anything...help me out here, I'd like to read it!

                  I e-mailed a letter to the editor a couple of days ago but it has not
                  been printed yet. You can read it here:
                • Chana Williford
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22, 2004
                    Speaking of Planned Parenthood,

                    The March for Women's Lives in Washington, D.C., is this Sunday. Some
                    folks are also gathering for a peaceful demonstration at City Hall in
                    downtown Dallas at 3:00 p.m. The address is 1500 Marilla Dr., Dallas,
                    TX 75201.

                    For additional info:

                    http://www.marchforwomen.org/
                    march_for_choice_dallas@...