Pledge case

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2004
      North Texas Brights and Libertarians:

      I talked to Dr. Michael Newdow on the phone tonight. Michael Newdow was
      the one who went to the Supreme Court about his daughter being made to
      say "under God" in the Pledge at the government-run public school. The
      Supreme Court decided he did not have sufficient legal custody of his
      child for them to rule on this.
      http://www.restorethepledge.com/

      The Brights organization then asked for volunteers for other families to
      take up the cause. 15 families volunteered including my own family
      which has two children in public elementary school. Newdow told me
      tonight that he was asking all of those families to file cases so that
      there would be a wave of cases hitting the courts at the same time all
      over the U.S., covering most of the Federal circuit court districts.
      http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDCTS/

      Newdow is a lawyer but he is not authorized to practice in this state.
      I have been instructed to find a lawyer in this state that he can work
      through. He stated that he had already done the legal work so it should
      be ready to go. He suggested I might contact the ACLU and look for one
      with a background in Constitutional law. I am to report back to him
      when I find one.

      I thought I might contact a lawyer that worked the Ethical Society of
      Austin case or one of the many that volunteered to help the Denison
      Unitarian Church with their disagreement with the State Comptroller over
      religious exemption status. If anyone has any recommendations, please
      let me know.
      http://esoa.org/0406sc.html
      http://www.swuuc.org/events/taxexempt.html

      The legal fees are expected to be a few thousand dollars, increasing as
      the case works its way up to the Supreme Court. If you would like to
      donate to the effort, please send me an e-mail or give me a ring.

      --
      David Wallace Croft
      http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~croft/