new atheist student organization at UTD

  • David Wallace Croft
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 11:18 AM
      Editor, UTD Mercury:

      In a letter to the editor printed in the April 19th, 2004 issue of the
      UTD Mercury, Michael Hamblin describes homosexuality as "destructive and
      anti-social behavior". He also states that the "Bible is clear when it
      speaks on marriage on homosexuality". Although he did not provide the
      reference, the Bible is indeed clear on this issue:

      "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them
      have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their
      blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

      Fundamentalists take the Bible literally, including the enforcement of
      Old Testament law. As a Neuroscience student, however, I have learned
      that sexual preference is frequently determined by genetics and early
      neural development. For many, it is not a personal choice because it is
      simply the way they were made. If it is not a choice, how can it be a
      sin worthy of capital punishment?

      This letter to the editor prompted me to take action against the growing
      assault by the monotheist Fundamentalists on the separation of Church
      and State. I invite all UTD students to join me in the formation of new
      student organization for Agnostics, Atheists, and Humanists,
      collectively known as Brights, by subscribing to the following
      announcements mailing list:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/brights-utd-announce

      --
      David Wallace Croft
      Graduate Student, Behavioral and Brain Sciences (BBS)