Re: Liars, Cheats and Thieves

  • Fred Thompson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2009
      I've found it's best to self-censor my comments whenever a dealer or a
      manufacturer is around, either in a meeting or on the manufacturers
      Audio Circle or Audio Asylum sub group. Some can respond constructively
      to factually based, tactfully stated criticisms of their products, but a
      few can't handle any criticism at all. So now I limit my comments about
      audio manufacturers' products and new moms' babies to happy talk about
      how pretty their baby is, even when the baby is ugly and has a stinky
      diaper, because that's what they want to hear. The outcome of hitting a
      hornets' nest with a stick is 100% predictable.

      Now, in fairness to dealers and manufacturers, the use of inexpensive
      crossover parts is dictated by the economic and marketing realities of
      the audio industry. I'm not familiar with VS, but I am with Magnepan.
      The under-$2K Maggie 1.6 uses a 19ga iron core inductor in the woofer
      signal path and a stack of Solen caps in the tweeter circuit.
      Substituting a 12ga air core inductor and Sonicaps will take this
      speaker to a different level, but the cost to upgrade a pair is about
      $250. If Magnepan upgraded their speakers at a cost of only $150 they
      would have to add at least $300 to the price they charge the dealer,
      taking the selling price to well above $2,500 and killing the sales
      volume for this already excellent speaker. Botique quality crossover
      parts are like larger seats on commercial flights - everybody says they
      want them, but few will actually pay the extra price at the time of
      purchase.

      If you want good quality crossover parts, buy speakers from
      non-mainstream direct internet sellers like GR Research, Selah Audio,
      Salk Sound, Tyler Acoustics, and Odyssey Audio. These all include
      premium parts or offer then as upgrades at a reasonable cost.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2009
        Fred , your point makes sense. At the same time, the speaker Lee alluded to is a 20+ K speaker , it is'nt really an apples to apples comparison (probably closer to an apples to pumpkin comparison).

        For reference, here is the thread in question. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=67638.0
        Unfortunately, the pictures have been removed.

        I'll let every man make his own judgment on the "logic" (or lack, thereof) and allusions to "more than what meets the eye" arguments.

          Having worked for a high end audio console manufacturer, I can attest
          to the truth of the post below. This particular manufacturer went
          out of business trying to be the purest in the industry.

          Bob Cham

          >Now, in fairness to dealers and manufacturers, the use of inexpensive
          >crossover parts is dictated by the economic and marketing realities of
          >the audio industry. I'm not familiar with VS, but I am with Magnepan.
          >The under-$2K Maggie 1.6 uses a 19ga iron core inductor in the woofer
          >signal path and a stack of Solen caps in the tweeter circuit.
          >Substituting a 12ga air core inductor and Sonicaps will take this
          >speaker to a different level, but the cost to upgrade a pair is about
          >$250. If Magnepan upgraded their speakers at a cost of only $150 they
          >would have to add at least $300 to the price they charge the dealer,
          >taking the selling price to well above $2,500 and killing the sales
          >volume for this already excellent speaker. Botique quality crossover
          >parts are like larger seats on commercial flights - everybody says they
          >want them, but few will actually pay the extra price at the time of
          >purchase.
          >
          >If you want good quality crossover parts, buy speakers from
          >non-mainstream direct internet sellers like GR Research, Selah Audio,
          >Salk Sound, Tyler Acoustics, and Odyssey Audio. These all include
          >premium parts or offer then as upgrades at a reasonable cost.
        • jimrivers3
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2009
            To put in my two cents as founder of the Dallas Audio Club. On our home page is our "statement". Copied and pasted below. As you should see, we are not affiliated with any audio group except Lone Star Bottleheads. Which used to be a Yahoo group like this one before Luther took it up a notch.

            A group to further audiophile gatherings, music listening, gear swapping/selling and info sharing for folks in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area. Spread the word about your favorite music on analog and digital formats.
            Also visit our pals at... http://lonestarbottleheads.org/

            As I hope you can see, this group was my (semi-successful?) attempt to bring together those dedicated to the love of music, meeting new people with similar interests and swapping and selling stuff to each other. I could have said mainly for the DIY enthusiast too. But so many of us love music but don't build our own gear. My high hopes fizzled several years ago when only, of the 90 members or so back then, only 5 or 6 of the same people were ever willing to open their homes to meetings. A big dose of reality for me. Because of personal issues, I've backed away from all things audio as a hobby, including this club and audio websites. But will say I am sorry things sometimes (always?) seem to not go smooth when people meet or talk over issues they are passionate about. Good luck getting along in the future.
            jim...