Looking for a big SS amp

  • bearhifi
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20 5:10 PM
      I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS II on Sunday and now I am looking for a good SS amp to push these power needing speakers...
    • oscar_in_fw
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20 5:18 PM
        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

        > I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS II on Sunday and now I am looking for a good SS amp to push these power needing speakers...

        I don't know about "good" but will a Classe CA-400 drive them ? Someone's bring a Parasound "muscle" amp I forget the model and also someone just emailed me about bringing an amp designed to drive any Martin Logan.
      • bearhifi
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20 7:19 PM
          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw" <oscar.e.bautista@...> wrote:

          > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS II on Sunday and now I am looking for a good SS amp to push these power needing speakers...
          > >

          > I don't know about "good" but will a Classe CA-400 drive them ? Someone's bring a Parasound "muscle" amp I forget the model and also someone just emailed me about bringing an amp designed to drive any Martin Logan.

          I wonder what amp it is that will drive any Logan? I would also think the 400 would drive them as well... 400w amp should do the job and if not I have some big issues. :-(
        • lee_roitberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20 7:21 PM
            You don't need no stinking solid state amp to drive Martin Logans. I will be bringing a 140 pound push-pull triode amp / space heater that should drive them nicely, 2 ohm load and all.

            Lee

            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

            > I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS II on Sunday and now I am looking for a good SS amp to push these power needing speakers...

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20 8:05 PM
              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw" <oscar.e.bautista@...> wrote:

              > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I got a pair of Martin Logan CLS II on Sunday and now I am looking for a good SS amp to push these power needing speakers...
              > >
              >As a recovering electrostic addict, in my experience. electrostatics sound better being driven by high power tube amps than high power solid state amps.

              VTLs are not bad, some folks try Atmosphere OTLs, the best luck I had were the Altc Lansing 1570 "jolly green giants". A Class B amp using a pair of 811A transmitting tubes. The amp was used to drive all those little speakers at Drive In Movie Theaters adn is virtually indistructable.

              A plus was you didn't have to heat your audio room in the winter. Another plus was the reaction of pets and visitors to the loud Kerchunk noise when you turned them on.

              Joim the Martin Logan Club at http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/index.php

              They will be happy to share their experiences. I bet most of them have gone through quite a few amps trying to squeeze some dynamics from their speakers. Once you plant your chair in the small sweet spot, they can be highly addictive.

              Dennis
            • bearhifi
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21 5:31 AM
                I have a pair of Rouge 120m that are 60w trio and 120w in ultra linear…When I have it on linear the bass is really good… Very detail and fast however when I switch it to trio its so so smooth in the mids and high but the bass is not so good… Would a push pull be both worlds?

                I mite have to bring the cls to the meet!

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21 6:34 AM
                  Typical push-pull amps with pentode output tubes have the characteristics you mentioned. Push-pull triodes are a whole different story. They have great bass control and wonderful mids. Real magic.
                • bearhifi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 21 7:17 AM
                    Thanks for the info...

                    Im guessing these type of amps cost alot?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 21 2:28 PM
                      The cost is quite reasonable compared to any other high end amplifier.