Anyone her or know anyone with the equipment to test amplifier output power?

  • blrchapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
      Hey guys,

      I'm trying to button up a project for the gathering in April assuming all things go well and I can attend. Anyway, I should have these monos I'm working on finished within a few hours or so. Does anyone here or know anyone around locally that can test an amplifier for output power. I would not care so much, but these are a bit larger than any other amps I have built and I wonder how they stack up in the output power arena. It is three pairs of 6550s in PPP using a slightly modded DIYTUBE poseidon topology for the front end.

      I'll post pictures when I get them finished even though I have not built the fancy wood side panels yet.

      Thanks for any leads or assistance!

      Blair
    • bearhifi
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I'm trying to button up a project for the gathering in April assuming all things go well and I can attend. Anyway, I should have these monos I'm working on finished within a few hours or so. Does anyone here or know anyone around locally that can test an amplifier for output power. I would not care so much, but these are a bit larger than any other amps I have built and I wonder how they stack up in the output power arena. It is three pairs of 6550s in PPP using a slightly modded DIYTUBE poseidon topology for the front end.
        >
        > I'll post pictures when I get them finished even though I have not built the fancy wood side panels yet.
        >
        > Thanks for any leads or assistance!
        >
        > Blair

        Hello Blair

        You mite try Dodd or ask him if he knows anyone that can do it...
        http://www.doddaudio.biz/web/contactus.html

      • lee_roitberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
          I can test power output, but only up to 300 watts. If you are interested, I am in Austin.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009

            You could try use the P=V*V/R formula, strapping an adequately rated Resistor across the speaker terminals and measuring the Voltage with a multimeter across the said resistor. Not sure whether regular multimeters measure A/C voltage correctly at all audio frequencies, .. but should give you a rough idea , at least at 50 - 60 Hz input signal.

            Try and fine a local car audio repair place. Car audio folks seem obsessed with output power :)

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
              Blair I have the test equipment you need. A 5 ohm non inductive 335W resistor and associated meters.

              Jules

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to take Jules up on his offer as I know where he lives, plus I really want to hear them on his speakers ;P

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                  Blair,
                  I will tag along with you, please,please,please. I am getting bored.

                  I see the DOC today. I am going to drop off the two 2"x12"x7' Puprle Hart at Wood World and have them drum sand to a finish. I think it will run $25 which is good.

                  To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: blair_4@...
                  Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:57:38 +0000

                  Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to take Jules up on his offer as I know where he lives, plus I really want to hear them on his speakers ;P

                  Blair

                  Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!