Anyone her or know anyone with the equipment to test amplifier output power?

  • blrchapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
      Hey guys,

      I'm trying to button up a project for the gathering in April assuming all things go well and I can attend. Anyway, I should have these monos I'm working on finished within a few hours or so. Does anyone here or know anyone around locally that can test an amplifier for output power. I would not care so much, but these are a bit larger than any other amps I have built and I wonder how they stack up in the output power arena. It is three pairs of 6550s in PPP using a slightly modded DIYTUBE poseidon topology for the front end.

      I'll post pictures when I get them finished even though I have not built the fancy wood side panels yet.

      Thanks for any leads or assistance!

      Blair
    • blrchapman

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys,
          >
          > I'm trying to button up a project for the gathering in April assuming all things go well and I can attend. Anyway, I should have these monos I'm working on finished within a few hours or so. Does anyone here or know anyone around locally that can test an amplifier for output power. I would not care so much, but these are a bit larger than any other amps I have built and I wonder how they stack up in the output power arena. It is three pairs of 6550s in PPP using a slightly modded DIYTUBE poseidon topology for the front end.
          >
          > I'll post pictures when I get them finished even though I have not built the fancy wood side panels yet.
          >
          > Thanks for any leads or assistance!
          >
          > Blair

          Hello Blair

          You mite try Dodd or ask him if he knows anyone that can do it...
          http://www.doddaudio.biz/web/contactus.html

        • lee_roitberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009
            I can test power output, but only up to 300 watts. If you are interested, I am in Austin.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2009

              You could try use the P=V*V/R formula, strapping an adequately rated Resistor across the speaker terminals and measuring the Voltage with a multimeter across the said resistor. Not sure whether regular multimeters measure A/C voltage correctly at all audio frequencies, .. but should give you a rough idea , at least at 50 - 60 Hz input signal.

              Try and fine a local car audio repair place. Car audio folks seem obsessed with output power :)

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                Blair I have the test equipment you need. A 5 ohm non inductive 335W resistor and associated meters.

                Jules

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                  Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to take Jules up on his offer as I know where he lives, plus I really want to hear them on his speakers ;P

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
                    Blair,
                    I will tag along with you, please,please,please. I am getting bored.

                    I see the DOC today. I am going to drop off the two 2"x12"x7' Puprle Hart at Wood World and have them drum sand to a finish. I think it will run $25 which is good.

                    To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: blair_4@...
                    Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:57:38 +0000

                    Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to take Jules up on his offer as I know where he lives, plus I really want to hear them on his speakers ;P

                    Blair

                    Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!