Next meeting

  • bearhifi
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
      I recall that meeting at your house Oscar and it was a great time!
      Let's try to come up with a solid date for March, April or May? I will
      help buy food and drinks and what ever else that needs to be done.
      Just don't plain it around the 1st week of May as I won't be in town…
      And the last weekend of May as well….
      I should have two or three pairs of speakers to bring … They wont
      compare to Blair's awesome speakers but they should be at least
      interesting.
      Restored Cornwalls with ALK crossovers
      DIY waveguide speaker…
      DIY single driver…

      Frank
    • blrchapman
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
        I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
        able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring my
        newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.

        Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for those
        of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.

        "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on June
        19-21st."

        I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but it
        is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
        feeling pretty good about your system! ;P

        Blair
      • oscar_in_fw
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
          I'm thinking a Saturday, no earlier than April 18 (This way I have a
          ghost of a chance of finishing some "honey-dos" and maybe work on the
          ceiling "upgrade" for the HT room). Y'all would have to combine to
          set up a complete system in the Living room unless I cannabilize my
          HT room (We had enough for 3-4 systems the last time). I still have
          only one tubed preamp and no vinyl setup; nothing's changed in my
          system other than two new HT subwoofers and a new display). And if
          someone is bringing K-horns again or other large speakers requiring
          decent separation, bring some long speaker wire.

          Vote early, vote often on which Saturday.

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
          wrote:

          > I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
          > able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring
          my
          > newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.
          >
          > Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for
          those
          > of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.
          >
          > "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on
          June
          > 19-21st."
          >
          > I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but
          it
          > is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
          > feeling pretty good about your system! ;P
          >
          > Blair

        • bearhifi
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
            What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
            and so on...
          • loneloborh
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
              Hey guys,
              I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
              joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
              Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?

              I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by Craig
              Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.

              I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
              schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
              stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.

              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

              > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
              > and so on...

            • bearhifi
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                Hello

                Yes we would be every insterested in hearing the 7s and the model
                5s... Those would be great have at the meet....

                Thanks

                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "loneloborh" <ronh@...> wrote:

                > Hey guys,
                > I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
                > joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
                > Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?
                >
                > I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by
                Craig
                > Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.
                >
                > I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
                > schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
                > stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.
                >
                > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@>
                wrote:

                > > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre
                amp
                > > and so on...

              • oscar_in_fw
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                  > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                  > and so on...

                  April 25 it is....

                  I'll suggest starting noonish to whenever. But if folks want to come earlier, I can be
                  accommodating.

                  In addition to the large room, I'll try to open up a 10x11 bedroom for smaller/overflow
                  system setups. I'm assuming a bunch of DIYers will show up with "stuff" to showcase.

                  Someone has already volunteered to bring over Von Schweikert Unifield-3 speakers to try out
                  which would be pretty awesome. I haven't decided yet if I want to listen to this in my own
                  system and/or put into the "empty" large room. I'll assume somewhere between 5 and 35
                  people will show up but RSVPs would be appreciated. A lot of good that did the last time; 10
                  people RSVPed, 35 showed up. I guess this is SOP.
                • bearhifi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Great! April 25th I cant wait
                    What is your address again Oscar?

                    I will bring speakers and pizza!

                    Frank
                  • blrchapman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                      This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                      happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                      home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                      This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                      player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                      case you wanted to hear specific equipment.

                      It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                      OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                      DAC chip.)

                      If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                      bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                      to come due to a possible newborn in my home.

                      Thoughts?

                      Blair
                    • oscar_in_fw
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

                        > This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                        > happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                        > home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                        > This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                        > player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                        > case you wanted to hear specific equipment.
                        >
                        > It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                        > OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                        > DAC chip.)
                        >
                        > If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                        > bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                        > to come due to a possible newborn in my home.
                        >
                        > Thoughts?
                        >
                        > Blair

                        Intriguing Idea. Though it might be a bit of a hassle to keep up with. Nevertheless, I think if we are going to do it, I would think the host should maintain this database/spreadsheet for the following reasons:

                        1. The host has a vested interest in maintaining the RSVP list and equipment folks are likely to bring. E.g. such host might have to make a last minute run to pick up lamp cord at Home depot to use for speaker wire no one offered to bring (hint). Last time, we had some Khorns but did not have a 15' foot pair of speaker wires to hook up to it.

                        2. Folks are probably going to be making last minute decisions on what equipment to bring. Therefore, a host may be inclined to maintain real-time updates to the equipment list as folks come and go. And guests will be able to look over the equipment list changes in real time.

                        BTW, I just volunteered to maintain such a spreadsheet for just this one meeting. I can email the preliminary RSVP list to interested folks just before the meeting.
                      • oscar_in_fw
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                          > Great! April 25th I cant wait
                          > What is your address again Oscar?
                          >
                          > I will bring speakers and pizza!
                          >
                          > Frank

                          Saturday, April 25, noon-6pm (earlier/later times can be negotiated).
                          1604 Ridgmar Boulevard
                          Fort Worth, TX 76116
                          817-569-9315
                          oscar.e.bautista@...

                          RSVPs w/ proposed equipment list would be appreciated (not required but desired for food/drink/equipment planning). BYOB. Money jar for food though I might try for some horse ovaries (sp?) ahead of time. Last time, I cooked for 10 (er my mom did); then took up a collection for seven (7) large pizzas later on ( It wasn't enough).