Re: Next meeting

  • oscar_in_fw
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

      > Hello Blair
      >
      > I have a few projects under way as well and please count me in...Also
      > please let me know if I can help and in anyway!
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Frank
      >

      > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not sure when or where it will be. I have a few small projects
      > I'm
      > > working on right now, and several other DIYers are knocking out
      > some
      > > speakers and misc. amplifiers. As for the members I so not stay in
      > > regular contact with, I'm sure they are still actively swapping out
      > > parts / components. I am thinking, if I could get enough pre event
      > > commitment, it may be of value for the event to be hosted in a
      > > rented / reserved location. A member hosted the last event and it
      > was
      > > a very nice event, but not all of us are willing to drive to
      > Terrell.
      > > Another generous contributor lives in Lantana which is a little
      > closer
      > > for most of us, but still a nice drive and by no means somewhere
      > you
      > > would want to take your larger speakers.
      > >
      > > All that said, I do plan on coordinating an event in a few months,
      > but
      > > it will be at the mercy of circumstance. I have a little one on the
      > > way and may not have the time I used to to work PR.
      > >
      > > Blair

      I hosted one of these a few years back. 35 folks showed up with a bunch of DIY
      projects/speakers plus someone brought a "high dollar" preamp for "demo". Rental fee is
      VERY REASONABLE ; just bring your toys (temporarily but you are welcome to leave them
      behind). I have a 20'x25' most empty living room which would accommodate most any
      speakers/audio systems + my own 26x19 home theater/stereo room, + an unused
      bedroom currently being used for storage but perhaps convertible for stereo use + large
      plasma display in master bedroom.

      The only catch is I'm on the West side of Fort Worth and I'd be asking everyone to pitch in
      for pizza/beers. This worked pretty well last time, I vaguely recall making a profit....
    • bearhifi
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2009
        I recall that meeting at your house Oscar and it was a great time!
        Let's try to come up with a solid date for March, April or May? I will
        help buy food and drinks and what ever else that needs to be done.
        Just don't plain it around the 1st week of May as I won't be in town…
        And the last weekend of May as well….
        I should have two or three pairs of speakers to bring … They wont
        compare to Blair's awesome speakers but they should be at least
        interesting.
        Restored Cornwalls with ALK crossovers
        DIY waveguide speaker…
        DIY single driver…

        Frank
      • blrchapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
          I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
          able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring my
          newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.

          Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for those
          of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.

          "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on June
          19-21st."

          I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but it
          is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
          feeling pretty good about your system! ;P

          Blair
        • oscar_in_fw
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
            I'm thinking a Saturday, no earlier than April 18 (This way I have a
            ghost of a chance of finishing some "honey-dos" and maybe work on the
            ceiling "upgrade" for the HT room). Y'all would have to combine to
            set up a complete system in the Living room unless I cannabilize my
            HT room (We had enough for 3-4 systems the last time). I still have
            only one tubed preamp and no vinyl setup; nothing's changed in my
            system other than two new HT subwoofers and a new display). And if
            someone is bringing K-horns again or other large speakers requiring
            decent separation, bring some long speaker wire.

            Vote early, vote often on which Saturday.

            wrote:

            > I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
            > able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring
            my
            > newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.
            >
            > Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for
            those
            > of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.
            >
            > "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on
            June
            > 19-21st."
            >
            > I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but
            it
            > is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
            > feeling pretty good about your system! ;P
            >
            > Blair

          • bearhifi
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
              What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
              and so on...
            • loneloborh
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                Hey guys,
                I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
                joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
                Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?

                I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by Craig
                Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.

                I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
                schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
                stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.

                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                > and so on...

              • bearhifi
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Hello

                  Yes we would be every insterested in hearing the 7s and the model
                  5s... Those would be great have at the meet....

                  Thanks

                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "loneloborh" <ronh@...> wrote:

                  > Hey guys,
                  > I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
                  > joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
                  > Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?
                  >
                  > I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by
                  Craig
                  > Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.
                  >
                  > I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
                  > schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
                  > stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.
                  >
                  > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@>
                  wrote:

                  > > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre
                  amp
                  > > and so on...

                • oscar_in_fw
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                    --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                    > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                    > and so on...

                    April 25 it is....

                    I'll suggest starting noonish to whenever. But if folks want to come earlier, I can be
                    accommodating.

                    In addition to the large room, I'll try to open up a 10x11 bedroom for smaller/overflow
                    system setups. I'm assuming a bunch of DIYers will show up with "stuff" to showcase.

                    Someone has already volunteered to bring over Von Schweikert Unifield-3 speakers to try out
                    which would be pretty awesome. I haven't decided yet if I want to listen to this in my own
                    system and/or put into the "empty" large room. I'll assume somewhere between 5 and 35
                    people will show up but RSVPs would be appreciated. A lot of good that did the last time; 10
                    people RSVPed, 35 showed up. I guess this is SOP.
                  • bearhifi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                      Great! April 25th I cant wait
                      What is your address again Oscar?

                      I will bring speakers and pizza!

                      Frank
                    • blrchapman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                        This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                        happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                        home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                        This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                        player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                        case you wanted to hear specific equipment.

                        It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                        OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                        DAC chip.)

                        If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                        bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                        to come due to a possible newborn in my home.

                        Thoughts?

                        Blair
                      • oscar_in_fw
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

                          > This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                          > happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                          > home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                          > This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                          > player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                          > case you wanted to hear specific equipment.
                          >
                          > It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                          > OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                          > DAC chip.)
                          >
                          > If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                          > bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                          > to come due to a possible newborn in my home.
                          >
                          > Thoughts?
                          >
                          > Blair

                          Intriguing Idea. Though it might be a bit of a hassle to keep up with. Nevertheless, I think if we are going to do it, I would think the host should maintain this database/spreadsheet for the following reasons:

                          1. The host has a vested interest in maintaining the RSVP list and equipment folks are likely to bring. E.g. such host might have to make a last minute run to pick up lamp cord at Home depot to use for speaker wire no one offered to bring (hint). Last time, we had some Khorns but did not have a 15' foot pair of speaker wires to hook up to it.

                          2. Folks are probably going to be making last minute decisions on what equipment to bring. Therefore, a host may be inclined to maintain real-time updates to the equipment list as folks come and go. And guests will be able to look over the equipment list changes in real time.

                          BTW, I just volunteered to maintain such a spreadsheet for just this one meeting. I can email the preliminary RSVP list to interested folks just before the meeting.
                        • oscar_in_fw
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                            > Great! April 25th I cant wait
                            > What is your address again Oscar?
                            >
                            > I will bring speakers and pizza!
                            >
                            > Frank

                            Saturday, April 25, noon-6pm (earlier/later times can be negotiated).
                            1604 Ridgmar Boulevard
                            Fort Worth, TX 76116
                            817-569-9315
                            oscar.e.bautista@...

                            RSVPs w/ proposed equipment list would be appreciated (not required but desired for food/drink/equipment planning). BYOB. Money jar for food though I might try for some horse ovaries (sp?) ahead of time. Last time, I cooked for 10 (er my mom did); then took up a collection for seven (7) large pizzas later on ( It wasn't enough).