Next meeting

  • ellyaudio
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24 9:58 AM
      when will be next meeting and where?
    • blrchapman
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24 10:15 AM
        I'm not sure when or where it will be. I have a few small projects I'm
        working on right now, and several other DIYers are knocking out some
        speakers and misc. amplifiers. As for the members I so not stay in
        regular contact with, I'm sure they are still actively swapping out
        parts / components. I am thinking, if I could get enough pre event
        commitment, it may be of value for the event to be hosted in a
        rented / reserved location. A member hosted the last event and it was
        a very nice event, but not all of us are willing to drive to Terrell.
        Another generous contributor lives in Lantana which is a little closer
        for most of us, but still a nice drive and by no means somewhere you
        would want to take your larger speakers.

        All that said, I do plan on coordinating an event in a few months, but
        it will be at the mercy of circumstance. I have a little one on the
        way and may not have the time I used to to work PR.

        Blair
      • bearhifi
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 25 7:05 PM
          Hello Blair

          I have a few projects under way as well and please count me in...Also
          please let me know if I can help and in anyway!

          Thanks

          Frank

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm not sure when or where it will be. I have a few small projects
          I'm
          > working on right now, and several other DIYers are knocking out
          some
          > speakers and misc. amplifiers. As for the members I so not stay in
          > regular contact with, I'm sure they are still actively swapping out
          > parts / components. I am thinking, if I could get enough pre event
          > commitment, it may be of value for the event to be hosted in a
          > rented / reserved location. A member hosted the last event and it
          was
          > a very nice event, but not all of us are willing to drive to
          Terrell.
          > Another generous contributor lives in Lantana which is a little
          closer
          > for most of us, but still a nice drive and by no means somewhere
          you
          > would want to take your larger speakers.
          >
          > All that said, I do plan on coordinating an event in a few months,
          but
          > it will be at the mercy of circumstance. I have a little one on the
          > way and may not have the time I used to to work PR.
          >
          > Blair

        • oscar_in_fw
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 25 7:42 PM
            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

            > Hello Blair
            >
            > I have a few projects under way as well and please count me in...Also
            > please let me know if I can help and in anyway!
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Frank
            >

            > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm not sure when or where it will be. I have a few small projects
            > I'm
            > > working on right now, and several other DIYers are knocking out
            > some
            > > speakers and misc. amplifiers. As for the members I so not stay in
            > > regular contact with, I'm sure they are still actively swapping out
            > > parts / components. I am thinking, if I could get enough pre event
            > > commitment, it may be of value for the event to be hosted in a
            > > rented / reserved location. A member hosted the last event and it
            > was
            > > a very nice event, but not all of us are willing to drive to
            > Terrell.
            > > Another generous contributor lives in Lantana which is a little
            > closer
            > > for most of us, but still a nice drive and by no means somewhere
            > you
            > > would want to take your larger speakers.
            > >
            > > All that said, I do plan on coordinating an event in a few months,
            > but
            > > it will be at the mercy of circumstance. I have a little one on the
            > > way and may not have the time I used to to work PR.
            > >
            > > Blair

            I hosted one of these a few years back. 35 folks showed up with a bunch of DIY
            projects/speakers plus someone brought a "high dollar" preamp for "demo". Rental fee is
            VERY REASONABLE ; just bring your toys (temporarily but you are welcome to leave them
            behind). I have a 20'x25' most empty living room which would accommodate most any
            speakers/audio systems + my own 26x19 home theater/stereo room, + an unused
            bedroom currently being used for storage but perhaps convertible for stereo use + large
            plasma display in master bedroom.

            The only catch is I'm on the West side of Fort Worth and I'd be asking everyone to pitch in
            for pizza/beers. This worked pretty well last time, I vaguely recall making a profit....
          • bearhifi
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28 11:26 AM
              I recall that meeting at your house Oscar and it was a great time!
              Let's try to come up with a solid date for March, April or May? I will
              help buy food and drinks and what ever else that needs to be done.
              Just don't plain it around the 1st week of May as I won't be in town…
              And the last weekend of May as well….
              I should have two or three pairs of speakers to bring … They wont
              compare to Blair's awesome speakers but they should be at least
              interesting.
              Restored Cornwalls with ALK crossovers
              DIY waveguide speaker…
              DIY single driver…

              Frank
            • blrchapman
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
                able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring my
                newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.

                Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for those
                of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.

                "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on June
                19-21st."

                I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but it
                is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
                feeling pretty good about your system! ;P

                Blair
              • oscar_in_fw
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                  I'm thinking a Saturday, no earlier than April 18 (This way I have a
                  ghost of a chance of finishing some "honey-dos" and maybe work on the
                  ceiling "upgrade" for the HT room). Y'all would have to combine to
                  set up a complete system in the Living room unless I cannabilize my
                  HT room (We had enough for 3-4 systems the last time). I still have
                  only one tubed preamp and no vinyl setup; nothing's changed in my
                  system other than two new HT subwoofers and a new display). And if
                  someone is bringing K-horns again or other large speakers requiring
                  decent separation, bring some long speaker wire.

                  Vote early, vote often on which Saturday.

                  wrote:

                  > I agree with Frank about securing a date. I do not kow if I will be
                  > able to bring my newest speakers. They are large, but I can bring
                  my
                  > newest compact amplifiers if I get them finished.
                  >
                  > Also, the date has been established for Lone Star Audio Fest for
                  those
                  > of you who are interested. It is usually a good time.
                  >
                  > "The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on
                  June
                  > 19-21st."
                  >
                  > I have never reserved a room or taken anything but a few CDs, but
                  it
                  > is a good time for me every year. And in some rooms, you walk away
                  > feeling pretty good about your system! ;P
                  >
                  > Blair

                • bearhifi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                    What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                    and so on...
                  • loneloborh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Hey guys,
                      I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
                      joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
                      Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?

                      I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by Craig
                      Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.

                      I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
                      schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
                      stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.

                      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                      > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                      > and so on...

                    • bearhifi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Hello

                        Yes we would be every insterested in hearing the 7s and the model
                        5s... Those would be great have at the meet....

                        Thanks

                        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "loneloborh" <ronh@...> wrote:

                        > Hey guys,
                        > I just got my account straightened out to receive messages, though I
                        > joined a long time ago. Would anybody be interested in hearing some
                        > Frazier Model 7's that I just recapped at this event?
                        >
                        > I also just got a pair of Marantz Model 5 monoblocks rebuilt by
                        Craig
                        > Otsby that I could bring if anyone is interested.
                        >
                        > I am a freelance videographer so there are no guarantees what my
                        > schedule will be on the date that's chosen, but I'm willin to schlep
                        > stuff to the site if there's interest and I'm not working.
                        >
                        > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@>
                        wrote:

                        > > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre
                        amp
                        > > and so on...

                      • oscar_in_fw
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2009
                          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                          > What about April 25th? I can bring what ever is needed...Amp, pre amp
                          > and so on...

                          April 25 it is....

                          I'll suggest starting noonish to whenever. But if folks want to come earlier, I can be
                          accommodating.

                          In addition to the large room, I'll try to open up a 10x11 bedroom for smaller/overflow
                          system setups. I'm assuming a bunch of DIYers will show up with "stuff" to showcase.

                          Someone has already volunteered to bring over Von Schweikert Unifield-3 speakers to try out
                          which would be pretty awesome. I haven't decided yet if I want to listen to this in my own
                          system and/or put into the "empty" large room. I'll assume somewhere between 5 and 35
                          people will show up but RSVPs would be appreciated. A lot of good that did the last time; 10
                          people RSVPed, 35 showed up. I guess this is SOP.
                        • bearhifi
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                            Great! April 25th I cant wait
                            What is your address again Oscar?

                            I will bring speakers and pizza!

                            Frank
                          • blrchapman
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                              This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                              happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                              home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                              This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                              player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                              case you wanted to hear specific equipment.

                              It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                              OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                              DAC chip.)

                              If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                              bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                              to come due to a possible newborn in my home.

                              Thoughts?

                              Blair
                            • oscar_in_fw
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

                                > This may be my OCD side, but something I have always wanted to see
                                > happen at some of these DIY/DAC gatherings when they are in someone's
                                > home is to have a spreadsheet of the different items people bring.
                                > This, to me, would provide everyone an itemized list of the diferent
                                > player, amps, speakers, etc. I think it would be helpful to have in
                                > case you wanted to hear specific equipment.
                                >
                                > It would be nice to have item descriptions as well. Such as (Modded
                                > OPPO player, misc. PS cap upgrades and DAC upgraded with BB model ####
                                > DAC chip.)
                                >
                                > If everyone were to RSVP with their attendance and the items they may
                                > bring, I will maintain the spreadsheet even though I may not be able
                                > to come due to a possible newborn in my home.
                                >
                                > Thoughts?
                                >
                                > Blair

                                Intriguing Idea. Though it might be a bit of a hassle to keep up with. Nevertheless, I think if we are going to do it, I would think the host should maintain this database/spreadsheet for the following reasons:

                                1. The host has a vested interest in maintaining the RSVP list and equipment folks are likely to bring. E.g. such host might have to make a last minute run to pick up lamp cord at Home depot to use for speaker wire no one offered to bring (hint). Last time, we had some Khorns but did not have a 15' foot pair of speaker wires to hook up to it.

                                2. Folks are probably going to be making last minute decisions on what equipment to bring. Therefore, a host may be inclined to maintain real-time updates to the equipment list as folks come and go. And guests will be able to look over the equipment list changes in real time.

                                BTW, I just volunteered to maintain such a spreadsheet for just this one meeting. I can email the preliminary RSVP list to interested folks just before the meeting.
                              • oscar_in_fw
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...> wrote:

                                  > Great! April 25th I cant wait
                                  > What is your address again Oscar?
                                  >
                                  > I will bring speakers and pizza!
                                  >
                                  > Frank

                                  Saturday, April 25, noon-6pm (earlier/later times can be negotiated).
                                  1604 Ridgmar Boulevard
                                  Fort Worth, TX 76116
                                  817-569-9315
                                  oscar.e.bautista@...

                                  RSVPs w/ proposed equipment list would be appreciated (not required but desired for food/drink/equipment planning). BYOB. Money jar for food though I might try for some horse ovaries (sp?) ahead of time. Last time, I cooked for 10 (er my mom did); then took up a collection for seven (7) large pizzas later on ( It wasn't enough).