Re: vintage speaker refinishing?

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 4:38 PM
      Do a Google search on repairing and refinishing veneer funiture.

      If my memory serves me right, most vintage speakers were finished
      with a sprayed lacquer. Only the high end cabinets had a oil rubbed
      finish.

      Please don't sand the finish off, you can damage the veneer, which is
      very thin. Vintage speakers are like bintage guitars they are worth
      more wiht the orginal finish and they sound better as well.

      In some cases scuffs will look better using lemon oil on them. If you
      want them to look like new, get a quote from a caniet maker that
      does restoration work.

      The Aristocrat was one of the best vintage speaker designs. They
      usually used an Alnico SP12 full range driver with an Alnico T35 horn
      tweeter. These are two of the best drivers made. You can improve the
      sound performance by lining the bare wood insides with 1/8" Bubble
      Wrap. Get rid of the "bell" wire and the crossover and just use a
      high quality film cap to roll of the tweeter. Goin to a copper
      biniding post also helps a lot.

      Adjust the cabinet distance from the rear wall to get tight bass.They
      also sound better when youplace them on a stand so the centerpont of
      the SP12 is 32 to 36 inches off the floor.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 7:18 PM
        Thanks Dennis,

        .. these are just the raw cabinets and look like they might've been a kit at some time (I can see glue bleed through where the original stain didn't take).

        I 'll use a pair of cheap soundcraftsmen co-ax for now and look for EV SP12 or 12TRX or the Knight clones later on. The existing crossover consists of a single 2 uF cap which I'll be replacing shortly (see pics)

        http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3403/p1060187wd7.jpg
        http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2859/p1060191wt5.jpg

        The cabinets do sound like they could use some bracing on the sidewalls. Wooden dowels shall be employed for that purpose. There's a bunch of felt on the rear wall but the sides are bare. I'll try the bubble-wrap trick.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22 5:44 AM
          Is it veneer? If so, keep away from sanding if at all possible, better living through chemicals.
          Paul

          To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com