vintage speaker refinishing?

  • Vinay B
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21 4:14 PM
      what's the best way to approach the refinishing of a pair of walnut colored ev aristocrats

      They're in generally good , but tired condition with a few scuffs in places,

      should I strip the old finish off or attack with wet sander and oil?

      thanks

      --------------------------
      Sent via MyPhone
      --------------------------
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 4:38 PM
        Do a Google search on repairing and refinishing veneer funiture.

        If my memory serves me right, most vintage speakers were finished
        with a sprayed lacquer. Only the high end cabinets had a oil rubbed
        finish.

        Please don't sand the finish off, you can damage the veneer, which is
        very thin. Vintage speakers are like bintage guitars they are worth
        more wiht the orginal finish and they sound better as well.

        In some cases scuffs will look better using lemon oil on them. If you
        want them to look like new, get a quote from a caniet maker that
        does restoration work.

        The Aristocrat was one of the best vintage speaker designs. They
        usually used an Alnico SP12 full range driver with an Alnico T35 horn
        tweeter. These are two of the best drivers made. You can improve the
        sound performance by lining the bare wood insides with 1/8" Bubble
        Wrap. Get rid of the "bell" wire and the crossover and just use a
        high quality film cap to roll of the tweeter. Goin to a copper
        biniding post also helps a lot.

        Adjust the cabinet distance from the rear wall to get tight bass.They
        also sound better when youplace them on a stand so the centerpont of
        the SP12 is 32 to 36 inches off the floor.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21 7:18 PM
          Thanks Dennis,

          .. these are just the raw cabinets and look like they might've been a kit at some time (I can see glue bleed through where the original stain didn't take).

          I 'll use a pair of cheap soundcraftsmen co-ax for now and look for EV SP12 or 12TRX or the Knight clones later on. The existing crossover consists of a single 2 uF cap which I'll be replacing shortly (see pics)

          http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3403/p1060187wd7.jpg
          http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2859/p1060191wt5.jpg

          The cabinets do sound like they could use some bracing on the sidewalls. Wooden dowels shall be employed for that purpose. There's a bunch of felt on the rear wall but the sides are bare. I'll try the bubble-wrap trick.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 5:44 AM
            Is it veneer? If so, keep away from sanding if at all possible, better living through chemicals.
            Paul

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com