Help Requested on Accoustics Please

  • Paul Heimbuch
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
      Hello,

      I have been into audio ever since I was a small boy building crystal
      radios. I have been waiting to build an audio room from scratch for a
      pair of Rosewood K-Horns and a pair of Rosewood Belles and a bunch of
      other equipment I have had in storage for years. I just didn't have the

      room in the house we lived in and we finally bought (years later than we

      thought it would take!) a house that has a large media room. We are
      remodeling the house and I want to get the accoustics right on the room
      while we are tearing out walls, painting, etc. The accoustics are
      terrible in the room right now and I need some help from somebody good
      at room dimension and accoustic calculations so I can tell the framer
      what to change the room dimensions to. Problem is I need to do this
      quickly as the work is being done now basically. Would you be so kind
      as to tell me who I might contact that is good at this sort of thing. I

      have one chance to make the room the correct dimensions and I don't want

      to screw it up or find out later it was wrong. Any help or suggestions
      you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in Frisco Texas which

      is on the North edge the Dallas suburbs very near the North Dallas
      Tollway. I also would be interested in joining the club, meeting
      members and perhaps purchasing high end used equipment and SET amps for
      my Klipsch speakers.
      Thanks in advance for you help with this!
      Paul Heimbuch
      972-897-1967
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
        Hi Paul,

        Go to your publice library and find the acoutstical engineering books
        on designing recording studios. They identify the proper height,
        width and depth ratios to minimize atanding waves. The will also give
        you information on the total volume required to reproduce bass
        frequencies.

        One ratio that does work is the Golden Ratio. That ratio is 1.618. So
        for a 10 foot floor to ceiling height the room width would be 16.18'
        and the length would be 26.18'. You room volume would be 4236 cubic
        feet which shoud be adequate for bass performance.

        In addition the books will also cover the use of various diffusors to
        break up or absorb standing waves.

        It a shame many of us never get around to optimizing room acoustics
        or even proper speaker placement. In most cases that seems to be
        determined by "She who must be Obeyed".

        Good Luck on your room,

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, Paul Heimbuch <paul88@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
          Perhaps this article and software program can help (see link) . Plenty of other stuff available on the www, some more confusing than the rest :)

          Best.

          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have been into audio ever since I was a small boy building crystal
          > radios. I have been waiting to build an audio room from scratch
          for a
          > pair of Rosewood K-Horns and a pair of Rosewood Belles and a bunch
          of
          > other equipment I have had in storage for years. I just didn't
          have the

          > room in the house we lived in and we finally bought (years later
          than we

          > thought it would take!) a house that has a large media room. We are
          > remodeling the house and I want to get the accoustics right on the
          room
          > while we are tearing out walls, painting, etc. The accoustics are
          > terrible in the room right now and I need some help from somebody
          good
          > at room dimension and accoustic calculations so I can tell the
          framer
          > what to change the room dimensions to. Problem is I need to do this
          > quickly as the work is being done now basically. Would you be so
          kind
          > as to tell me who I might contact that is good at this sort of
          thing. I

          > have one chance to make the room the correct dimensions and I don't
          want

          > to screw it up or find out later it was wrong. Any help or
          suggestions
          > you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in Frisco Texas
          which

          > is on the North edge the Dallas suburbs very near the North Dallas
          > Tollway. I also would be interested in joining the club, meeting
          > members and perhaps purchasing high end used equipment and SET amps
          for
          > my Klipsch speakers.
          > Thanks in advance for you help with this!
          > Paul Heimbuch
          > 972-897-1967

        • RON CARLTON
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
            Try the Home theater Shack. They have some of the top guys in acoustics as moderators plus a free program to test the sonic characteristics of your room.

            Ron Carlton
            Dallas, Texas

            Perhaps this article and software program can help (see link) . Plenty of other stuff available on the www, some more confusing than the rest :)

            http://www.extremet ech.com/article2 /0,1697,1791190, 00.asp

            Best.

            wrote:

            Hello,

            > I have been into audio ever since I was a small boy
            building crystal
            > radios. I have been waiting to build an audio room from
            scratch
            for a
            > pair of Rosewood K-Horns and a pair of Rosewood Belles
            and a bunch
            of
            > other equipment I have had in storage for years. I
            just didn't
            have the

            > room in the house we lived in and we
            finally bought (years later
            than we

            > thought it would take!)
            a house that has a large media room. We are
            > remodeling the house and I
            want to get the accoustics right on the
            room
            > while we are tearing
            out walls, painting, etc. The accoustics are
            > terrible in the room right
            now and I need some help from somebody
            good
            > at room dimension and
            accoustic calculations so I can tell the
            framer
            > what to change the
            room dimensions to. Problem is I need to do this
            > quickly as the work is
            being done now basically. Would you be so
            kind
            > as to tell me who I
            might contact that is good at this sort of
            thing. I

            > have
            one chance to make the room the correct dimensions and I don't
            want

            > to screw it up or find out later it was wrong. Any help or
            suggestions
            > you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in
            Frisco Texas
            which

            > is on the North edge the Dallas suburbs
            very near the North Dallas
            > Tollway. I also would be interested in
            joining the club, meeting
            > members and perhaps purchasing high end used
            equipment and SET amps
            for
            > my Klipsch speakers.
            > Thanks in
            advance for you help with this!
            > Paul Heimbuch

            972-897-1967

          • Cameron Thorne
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2008
              I second the library recommendation.  See in particular Chapter 19 "Acoustics of the Listening Room", and and Table 13-2 (pg. 277) "Rectangular room dimension ratios for favorable mode distribution." in F. Alton Everest's Master Handbook of Acousticshttp://www.amazon.com/Master-Handbook-Acoustics-Alton-Everest/dp/0071360972/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203203537&sr=8-1

              The table lists the ratios from a number of published works on the subject of ideal room proportions.

              -- Cameron

              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I have been into audio ever since I was a small boy building crystal
              > radios. I have been waiting to build an audio room from scratch
              for a
              > pair of Rosewood K-Horns and a pair of Rosewood Belles and a bunch
              of
              > other equipment I have had in storage for years. I just didn't
              have the

              > room in the house we lived in and we finally bought (years later
              than we

              > thought it would take!) a house that has a large media room. We are
              > remodeling the house and I want to get the accoustics right on the
              room
              > while we are tearing out walls, painting, etc. The accoustics are
              > terrible in the room right now and I need some help from somebody
              good
              > at room dimension and accoustic calculations so I can tell the
              framer
              > what to change the room dimensions to. Problem is I need to do this
              > quickly as the work is being done now basically. Would you be so
              kind
              > as to tell me who I might contact that is good at this sort of
              thing. I

              > have one chance to make the room the correct dimensions and I don't
              want

              > to screw it up or find out later it was wrong. Any help or
              suggestions
              > you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in Frisco Texas
              which

              > is on the North edge the Dallas suburbs very near the North Dallas
              > Tollway. I also would be interested in joining the club, meeting
              > members and perhaps purchasing high end used equipment and SET amps
              for
              > my Klipsch speakers.
              > Thanks in advance for you help with this!
              > Paul Heimbuch
              > 972-897-1967

            • Ron Carlton
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2008
                Try the Home theater Shack. They have some of the top guys in
                acoustics as moderators plus a free program to test the sonic
                characteristics of your room.
                http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/

                Ron Carlton
                Dallas, Texas