RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: mod's

  • Dave Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2008

      Maybe you are misunderstanding what I am looking for. My Sony standalone player will decode the LPCM and output that on 5.1 analog channels. I understand that HDMI carries the uncompressed PCM but at some point a DAC has to be used to convert this bitstream to analog obviously the new HT receivers support this conversion. My PS3 does not have an analog output other than stereo it will output LPCM on HDMI but my Pioneer Elite HT receiver does not support HDMI so it is limited to S/PDIF (Dolby Digital, DTS etc…) or analog stereo. Most Blu Ray stand alone players decode LPCM and output the decoded signal via analog 5.1 outputs so it is the analog equivalent of the LPCM. I am wondering if someone is making a box that will take the LPCM bitstream via HDMI and decode this to analog for non-HDMI HT receivers?

      A player that has an internal DAC that supports LPCM outputs the analog version of this signal on its analog 5.1 outputs. You would not need a DAC for an analog signal so you lost me on your last comment. But you can get high resolution multichannel audio from some players via the analog outputs if the player has an internal DAC built in. My Sony will that is why I bought it because I can get the LPCM soundtrack without the need of a HT receiver that supports HDMI.

      Dave