RE: [dallasaudioclub] Measuring loudspeaker parameters

  • Richard Rea
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2008
      Oh  no, my WT2 dose not work:( can't calibrate it just show 32ohms.
      The speakers are 8" Zetag wofers. I was told they work great in a 3cu ft box vented. So, I figure 2 for an mtm would be 6cu ft. I have not modled it yet and looks like it's on hold pending testing.
      Tweeter is a Fountek Ribion. Think I spelled that right.

      Richard

      Dave Thomas <dthomas@...> wrote:
      Wow… 6 cubic feet. What are the woofers that is a huge cabinet? I have a WT2 also great little tool.
      Dave

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2008
        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Thomas" <dthomas@...>
        wrote:
        > Here is a link to the latest mini arrays I built for a personal Home
        > Theater project. They are very dynamic and project a very 3D
        soundstage.

        Nice looking speakers, Dave! I would like to know more about them.
        Would you consider posting a summary (drivers used, crossover, etc) on
        the Audio Circle Line Array forum?
      • Dave Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2008

          I could do that I have been quite busy but it is possible. It is not a near-field array. I designed the crossover to minimize combing above 10KHz and based the crossover design on a flat response if the listener is sitting at the transition from near to far field. The optimized listening distance is around 3 meters. It resulted in a very flat measured response with very minimal combing occurring at above 11KHz. The response above 10K was slightly tilted to offset any apparent loss in this region. The crossover is passive and very simple I used the acoustic slopes of the drivers to get better than 3rd order slopes with a 2nd and 3rd order electrical filter. There are only 6 components including a padding resistor for the tweeter comprising the crossover. By using the roll off created by combing on the woofer array I was able to get a fairly steep slope with just two components and avoid any combing in the woofer line. I used the Hivi A3SII midwoofer but it could be done with the B3SII.

          All in all they are very nice sounding and dynamic. I cross them to a sub electronically at 120Hz. I am completing a matching center channel that uses 6 of the 3” midwoofers , 3 on each side splayed in about 10 degrees with a line of 3 tweeters in the center. The woofer are mounted in a traditional horizontal fashion at least traditional for center channels and the the tweeter are stacked vertically in the center to optimize dispersion and create a wider radiation pattern for the horizontal woofers. After I complete this I can post the final project.

          The first is a blown up measured response (1db), the second is a more conventional graph on a less resolved graph looks more impressive and includes a better gated response for the tweeter that eliminated from reflection issues in the first measurement so it is more representative of an anechoic response. The last is the impedance profile it is a fairly benign and is easy to drive.

          Dave