RE: [dallasaudioclub] Need access to 2.5" and 3" chassis punches

  • Dennis Boyle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2007

      Go to McMaster Carr, they have hole saws up to 5” http://www.mcmaster.com/

      To get the best results and save money on large holes, use a hole saw and a drill press instead of a chassis punch. Drill a ¼” hole first and use a ¼” drill rod in the arbor. This reduces the chatter and side play that happens when you use a ¼” drill bit in the arbor. WD40 works very well when you are cutting aluminum.

      McMaster Carr is the place to go for tools, supplies and specialty hardware. They have a lot of hard to find damping materials….bushings, grommets, tubing, etc. I mount all my transformers, tube sockets and capacitors to reduce the mechanical vibration that causes microphonics. In fact you can use a high temperature silicone grommet and get rid of tube sockets.

      Dennis Boyle

      Chimera Laboratories

      Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/

      Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html