Need access to 2.5" and 3" chassis punches

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2007

      I need to mount a few (4) oil capacitors and none of my step bits or  hole punches are that large . I could get by with drilling pass through holes for the cap leads but would then have to situate the capacitor clamps topside (ugly) so I'd rather not go that route.

      If you have access to something that can make holes of that size in 1/8" Aluminum plate (probably either a chassis punch or a step bit / metal hole saw + drill press) and would be willing to help, please let me know.

      Thanks

      Vinay Balamuru

    • Dennis Boyle
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2007

        Go to McMaster Carr, they have hole saws up to 5” http://www.mcmaster.com/

        To get the best results and save money on large holes, use a hole saw and a drill press instead of a chassis punch. Drill a ¼” hole first and use a ¼” drill rod in the arbor. This reduces the chatter and side play that happens when you use a ¼” drill bit in the arbor. WD40 works very well when you are cutting aluminum.

        McMaster Carr is the place to go for tools, supplies and specialty hardware. They have a lot of hard to find damping materials….bushings, grommets, tubing, etc. I mount all my transformers, tube sockets and capacitors to reduce the mechanical vibration that causes microphonics. In fact you can use a high temperature silicone grommet and get rid of tube sockets.

        Dennis Boyle

        Chimera Laboratories

        Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/

        Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html