Re: (re)building an inexpensive tube phono stage

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
      Hi Paul,
      It can be for sale if I build two more! I need one each for my two
      systems. Only have this one at this time. jim...

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, pdtt Houston <pdtt75@...>
      wrote:

      > Is it for sale?
      > Sorry I could not meet you for lunch. I had to go back the next
      day on emergency.
      > Paul
      >
      > Jim <jim@...> wrote:
      > Building a great sounding, (relatively) inexpensive
      tube phono stage

      > Home page photo and in our Photos section
      under "Dyna PAS Phono only"
      > The first leg (of the PS) has two 47 uf at 250 volt in series
      with resistors across them to equalize the voltage drop over each
      cap. Making it about 24 uf at 500 volt. Well above Dyna's B+ for
      each leg.
      > The second leg is 33 uf at 630 volt. Making it 33 uf at 630 volt
      > The last leg is two 20 uf at 400 volt in parallel. Making it 40
      uf at 400 volt. Voltage on this leg of the circuit is below 250
      volts even at turn on.
      > This is similar to the original capacitance rating. But notice
      each leg consecutive has a higher capacitance rating in uf than the
      former. This gleaned from an article, with measurements. I read that
      if you make each leg larger than the last, you have a smoother, more
      constant B+.
      > www.tubesandmore.com sells 630 volt Solens.
      > http://www.partsconnexion.com/ is where I got the 400 volt
      Solens. Also hand matched Holco and PRP brand resistors from here.
      > The board is populated with Sprague 716P film and foil
      polypropylene caps from www.tubesandmore.com These were also hand
      matched from a large quantity.
      > The phono eq caps are from Tanner's. Hand matched.
      > The white wire in this build is from stripped apart Audioquest
      long grain copper cable.
      > I've built several of these. In two others I used Chimera Labs
      sourced CCC wire and RCA's.
      > The transformer is on rubber feet. Sourced from Tanner's. Most
      tweaks I've learned from John Camille, Dennis Boyle and Walter
      Delesandri. Slight change in phono eq from Walter.