Re: [dallasaudioclub] (re)building an inexpensive tube phono stage

  • pdtt Houston
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
      Is it for sale?
      Sorry I could not meet you for lunch.  I had to go back the next day on emergency.
      Paul

      Jim <jim@...> wrote:
      Building a great sounding, (relatively) inexpensive tube phono stage

                     Home page photo and in our Photos section under "Dyna PAS Phono only"
      The first leg (of the PS) has two 47 uf at 250 volt in series with resistors across them to equalize the voltage drop over each cap. Making it about 24 uf at 500 volt.  Well above Dyna's B+ for each leg.
      The second leg is 33 uf at 630 volt. Making it 33 uf at 630 volt
      The last leg is two 20 uf at 400 volt in parallel. Making it 40 uf at 400 volt.  Voltage on this leg of the circuit  is below 250 volts even at turn on.
      This is similar to the original capacitance rating. But notice each  leg consecutive has a higher capacitance rating in uf than the former. This gleaned from an article, with measurements. I read that if you make each leg larger than the last, you have a smoother, more constant B+.
      www.tubesandmore. com sells 630 volt Solens.
      http://www.partscon nexion.com/ is where I got the 400 volt Solens. Also hand matched Holco and PRP brand resistors from here.
      The board is populated with Sprague 716P film and foil polypropylene caps from www.tubesandmore. com  These were also hand matched from a large quantity.
      The phono eq caps are from Tanner's. Hand matched.
      The white wire in this build is from stripped apart Audioquest long grain copper cable.
      I've built several of these. In two others I used Chimera Labs sourced CCC wire and RCA's.
      The transformer is on rubber feet. Sourced from Tanner's. Most tweaks I've learned from John Camille, Dennis Boyle and Walter Delesandri. Slight change in phono eq from Walter.

      jim...

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
        Hi Paul,
        It can be for sale if I build two more! I need one each for my two
        systems. Only have this one at this time. jim...

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, pdtt Houston <pdtt75@...>