Re: Poll has ended: 9 out of 90

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hi Dave,
        As far as I see it, any member is welcome to have (under the Dallas Audio Club banner) any size meeting/event/DIY or real product shootout/comparo/other that he or she or they wish. Having small meetings is just what I, personally, plan to do for fun. I started this latest quest/tirade over a month ago, after many months of frustration when only 5 or so of the same people hosted all the meetings. That over the past three plus years. I've tried and tried several approaches to encourage hosting in those years but have been met with dead silence. After having 30 plus people in my home twice, that just won't happen again, to me, in my home. Call it what you will. From my experience, for my personal tastes and enjoyment, I'll have small meetings and rotate who gets invited. You, Blair (now a co-owner /moderator) and all others are welcome to post, promote, create new ideas for our club. Please keep it cooking and vital!  That's all I wanted! Have any and all types of meetings and gatherings associated with audio and/or video you wish. That's great and I hope it works. I was just coming at the problem from my perspective and needs and past experience. I was out of ideas and thoroughly frustrated. I hope new faces and ideas from you and Blair and others will create something positive and dynamic. So please pick up the ball and get things moving in D/FW and North Texas. Fred and Luther and Wayne have things rolling at a grand pace in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Tulsa. I seem to have let myself and them down. Time to pass on the baton. So please, please make things happen. I'll buy a ticket on the new Audio Train when it leaves the station! The only reason I haven't "handed over the controls" totally was some private protests to keep it like it was, which was pretty much nothing. 8:-) Thanks jim...

       dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...> wrote:

      > I think the idea of small listening sessions is not bad, but will
      > inherrantly limit the availability of the club to grow as a group.
      > Waiting for an invitation may become tiresome and leave many at odds
      > with the ethics and purpose of the group. I personally believe that
      > these types of meetings should take place though because that is how
      > many of us discover new music. I propose that there should be multiple
      > types of gatherings. If you wish to host a small quaint group of people
      > to listen to music, then all is fair, but I really do think there
      > should definitely be the ability to hear a diversified assortment of
      > equipment. A few friends of mine and I are going to have a get together
      > this Sunday in Lantana. If there are interested possible particiapants,
      > let me know through email. It should be fun. We always have a great
      > time and swap out equipment for listening readily.
      >
      > Blair

    • jmlpartners
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2007
        I'm one of the nine who offered to a host a meeting but perhaps my
        vote shouldn't be counted, just yet. You see, I am not living in TX
        right now but I visit DFW from time to time. I will be moving to the
        area in the near future and intend to host an audio meet or two in my
        new house. I've been pondering what type of gathering I'd like to
        host or attend.

        During my 50 years in this hobby I've attended audio events with
        different themes: Some were memorably bad, e.g., DIY component swap
        fests and comparos, while some were memorably good. Of the latter,
        two were demos conducted at a local hifi store. (That was back in the
        days when there were local hifi stores.) One featured Keith O.
        Johnson showing off the latest Reference Recording releases,
        comparing the LPs to the original master tapes played on his very
        special tape recorder. The LP playback system wasn't too shabby but
        the difference was astounding. The other featured Crosby-modified
        Quads with Spectral electronics, Goldmund turntable, and Brisson
        cables. Stunning sound but what made that event most memorable was it
        was the first time I heard Radka Toneff's LP, "Fairy Tales."

        Another memorable event was where the host played excerpts from his
        extensive music collection, one after the other. I didn't like some
        of his choices, but because each selection was short, I didn't have
        to suffer very long. On the other hand, other selections I really
        liked and would liked to have heard more. The idea was to introduce
        the participants to artists and genres they might not seek out on
        their own. When you heard something you liked you wrote down the
        artist/recording info and pursued learning more on your own. I was
        introduced to some of my now-favorite artists, including Jacques
        Loussier and Cristina Branco, at that event.

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@...> wrote:

        > Poll has ended: 9 out of 90
        > Hi Folks,
        > Poll has ended and only 9 out of 90 responded they would host
        > meetings. To be fair, there some are my FM tuner or DIY friends who
        > live far away and who joined for other reasons than coming to
        meetings.
        > I also understand that some guys just can't host in their homes for
        > various reasons. IT'S ALL GOOD! It does solidify my previous
        thoughts
        > and I guess the best over all solution to my personal wants and
        needs
        > is to have small meetings that's about music. Maybe post positive
        > things from those meetings and maybe good new (or old) music!
        Thanks to