RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: New poll for dallasaudioclub

  • ed sheffield
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      Scatter-shooting....

      Folks, we should find a way to make an active greater
      Dallas audio society work.

      The metroplex is very large both in population and
      area-getting around is difficult. Large meetings
      yield little listening-which is a bummer for many.

      I will be willing to host a get together when my home
      remodeling project is complete after Sept. 15.

      I like the blending of diy and commercial high end
      gear.

      Might it be possible to gather email lists from the
      disparate audio groups in NTX (or asking them to send
      an email to their respective groups) sending a one
      time email to all about forming a diverse audio group?

      Thanks,

      Ed

      --- Johno Kantz <inkmo@...> wrote:

      > I've been a member for a year or two, but I have
      > only attended one meeting.
      > I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe
      > find a source to purchase
      > vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people
      > who can service vintage
      > gear, and get general good tips for getting the most
      > out of my vinyl. I
      > felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went
      > to because I'm
      > significantly younger than most of the members in
      > the group and I don't have
      > a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear,
      > so I didn't have a whole
      > bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were
      > apprehensive because they
      > might have just thought I was hitting them up for
      > shopping advice. Sorry if
      > anybody remembers me and remembers me being
      > annoying.
      >
      > You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too
      > :P.
      >
      > I'd still like to come to some more meetings,
      > though.
      >
      > I would like to host meetings, but it's just
      > impossible since I have a tiny
      > place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one
      > bit. Maybe one of these
      > days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll
      > remember to bring beer
      > next time, though, if that's any consolation.

      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > mailto:dallasaudioclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • oscar_in_fw
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
        Okay, My 2 cents worth. I thought I knew what I was doing trying work my way into a hi-
        end system mostly on my own. I found out differently when I found the Dallas Audio Club
        and North Texas Audio Jam (or whatever it's called nowadays). Definite learning curve;
        now I'm still in "dreaming of an All-tube system" mode. I'd support meetings just to
        listen to different setups and acquire other viewpoints.

        I've only hosted one (1) meeting which turned into a rather large affair with 35 people
        coming over bringing a multitude of DIY projects which we set up (if only for a short time)
        in the rather large (if acoustically-challenged) living room. My system is geared more
        towards 2-channel and Multichannel SACD/DVD-A and Hi-Def Home Theater with mostly
        Solid State components; too bright for many of Y'all; even the 2-channel tubed Preamp I'm
        experimenting with. Also, no vinyl (yet).

        I'd be glad to host another such large meeting but you'd have to bring your own tubed
        equipment/systems and vinyl setups, I don't have a 2nd system setup (yet), but I still have
        a large, mostly empty living room to fill up and now an empty bedroom for a 3rd setup
        and room to possibly shoe in a 4th setup. The downside is I'm on the West side of Fort
        Worth so it would have to be a once in a blue moon affair. It'll be a catered affair as well;
        last time we had to last minute order up seven (7) large pizzas on top of the food I had
        originally prepared and we finished all of it (I even made a modest profit).

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
          dallasaudioclub group:

          What do you think would be the maximum number of folks
          at a gathering and it still be about the music?

          o 3
          o 7
          o 10
          o 15